How difficult is it to focus using the rear eyepiece? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old May 6th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How difficult is it to focus using the rear eyepiece?

I'm seriously considering this camera for work I do with a conservation organization. However on my "day job" I use an EX1. The rear eyepiece is not very good (actually close to useless) on the EX1 for critical focus. When I'm in the difficult terrain and in bright sun the front screen might not do the job. yes, there's the Hoodman and other adapters but they're clunky. Can I rely on the rear eyepiece for focus when I need to?
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The rear viewfinder is very small. If you use peaking and the expanded focus you should be OK.

Joe
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It is a bit difficult, but not impossible, if you zoom all the way in and use the expanded focus button, you will be fine for sure.

Today I shot some shots of a tiny ant crawling on the ground using manual focus and looking through the viewfinder. It worked out GREAT and am pleased with the focus I was able to achieve looking through the viewfinder.

Hope that helps! -Nick
Nick Popa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders