FCP question about handling NX 1080 30p footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old May 17th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP question about handling NX 1080 30p footage

I shot some test footage in Santa Monica over the weekend at 1080 30p at the highest quality. I used FCP 6 Log and Transfer to convert the footage to Pro Res.

When I imported the clips onto the timeline, FCP wanted to changed the sequence settings to match the clip and I said yes. When I later checked the sequence settings, here is what it said:

1920 x1080
aspect ratio: HDTV 1080i (16:9)
pixel aspect ratio: square
field dominance: none
Apple Pro Res 422
100% quality
48Khz, 16 bit audio

My question is this...when you are recording with the NX5U at 1080 30p, is it being laid down an interlaced file on the card? (as the interlaced sequence setting on the FCP timeline seems to indicates)

Is this the normal workflow for shooting and editing projects that started out as being recorded in 1080 30p?

Perhaps I was getting confused because I thought I would be editing in true progressive frames like you can in 24 fps footage.

I just wanted to be sure this footage was coming in the way it should and that FCP was handling it correctly. The reason for shooting in 30p was for the smoother motion.

If any one can share advice on this issue, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

John
John Vasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Regular Crew

All frame rates are native with this camera, so there is no pulldown on the card. The 1080i aspect ratio, I believe, is the only preset that matches this camera's footage. I could be wrong, but I don't think the "i" actually has any affect on whether you sequence is interlaced or not, it just refers to the HDTV standard. As long as you set the sequences in your project by dropping clips in the timeline (and answering yes when it asks to use that clip's settings), it will grab the right settings. You can check this afterwards by right clicking on a sequence in the browser and choosing Item Properties and there you should see that a progressive sequence will not be interlaced (Field Dominance = none). And if you export to a mov using the sequence settings it will also retain those settings.

I'm not an expert on FCP so I can't say what other implications the 1080i aspect ratio has. Maybe a question for the FCP forum.
Matt Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi, Matt...I believe your hunch is right...that the HDTV (i) setting doesn't necessarily mean it's interlaced...and the clue is to look at the field dominance (none) which would indicate progressive footage. I will check this out on a Final Cut Pro user site to be sure.

Thanks for the tip!

John
John Vasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I think this may be a bug. I use Vegas, in version 9.0c had the same problem, it told that my 25p footage was 50i. But in next version, 9.0d, it was corrected.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders