"Depth of field" NX5 vs. DSLR camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old May 18th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

"Depth of field" NX5 vs. DSLR camera

How excellent is the "depth of field of NX5 compare with DSLR camera like 5D/7D?
I noticed now days many video productions more preferred DSLR cam for video recording & producing excellent & better shallow depth of field with DSLR.

I read many posts problem raised by NX5 Back-focusing issue & Buffer Error...etc
Is NX5 worth investment?
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Major Player

If you want to jump on the DOF bandwagon, get a DSLR. If you want a solid video camera go with the NX5U. If you want a photo camera that still does excellent HD video but requires a few thousand dollars in added accessories, go with a DSLR...but if you want a dedicated video camera for what will be not far from the total cost of piece-mealing a DSLR, go with a NX5U. :)

The DOF on the NX5U is really good, but I don't think it's nearly to what can be achieved with the 5DMII, for instance - or even a T2I for that matter. But in terms of functionality and overall image, the NX5U is a solid camera.

I use both, and each is suited for certain situations....
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kiu View Post
How excellent is the "depth of field of NX5 compare with DSLR camera like 5D/7D?
I noticed now days many video productions more preferred DSLR cam for video recording & producing excellent & better shallow depth of field with DSLR.

I read many posts problem raised by NX5 Back-focusing issue & Buffer Error...etc
Is NX5 worth investment?
The NX5U can do some very shallow DOF looks in the proper settings. Not like a DSLR, but certainly workable if that's the look you want.
Ryan Douthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Here's an unretouched still of a Suzuki Kizashi (car) sidemarker light from an NX5U. (The light is about 3-inches long) This was recorded at 720p with a built-in ND filter and wide-open aperture, outside on a cloudy day.
Attached Thumbnails
"Depth of field" NX5 vs. DSLR camera-sidemarker_kizashi.png  
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Ryan,
Where can i see any video done by NX5 for DOF?
Not sure if NX5 can achieved this shallow DOF effect;
Below is video clip i referring to:
YouTube - Fish Leong and Tony Chao ??? & ??? ?? (2?1?)
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Major Player

I don't have anything I can show you yet. We just started shooting with the NX5U. For the look in that video you'd need to get a 35mm adapter on the NX5U or just pick up a Canon T2i. So, yes, the Sony can do a noticeable dof effect but it not the right tool for crazy dof.
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Major Player

I'll see if I can export some raw stuff for you to see later tonight.
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Sample uploaded. This was shot on an overcast day with various ND settings and a wide-open aperture at different zoom lengths. It will take about 30 mins for Vimeo to transcode (eta: 8pm)

Old May 20th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ryan, Very nice & impressive DOF, Are you Zooming in Maximum? Full wide Aperture setting? DOF very similar to DSLR cam...

thanks for sharing the video
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:25 PM   #10
Major Player

There was some zooming, but it wasn't all the way. Sorry I can't be more specific. Though I was aiming for maximum aperture in each shot.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Re: "Depth of field" NX5 vs. DSLR camera

Camcorders are like tools. DSLR's are very good at getting very nice DOF shots. Camcorders like the NX5 are very good at run and gun style shooting. Yes you can get a shallow depth of field with the NX5 and yes you can do run and gun with a DSLR but you have to take more time to set up your shots. If you're able to get both the DSLR and the camcorder.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders