Firmware 2.0 now available at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old May 27th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Firmware 2.0

Now it's official for HXR-NX5E, HXR-NX5M.
Here's the link http://support.pro.sony.eu//software...model=HXR-NX5E but you have to register to get it.

IMPROVEMENT:

'Buffer overflow' no longer occurs during recording with HVR-FMU128.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #2
New Boot

Thank you Cristian!

I have now succsessfully updated the firmware of my nx5e to Version 2.0.

Took me 5 minutes - was really easy to do.

Last edited by Conrad Kramer; May 27th, 2010 at 11:29 AM.
Conrad Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Wow, a lot quicker than what I have been told, that's for sure!
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Sony Electronics

HXR-NX5U Ver. 2.0 Firmware Update

User Firmware Update Ver. 2.0 is now available on the NXCAM micro-site. This user installable software updates the HXR-NX5U firmware version from 1.0 to 2.0. It is available here: Sony | Micro Site - NXCAM

Version 2.0 addresses a "buffer overflow" message that may rarely occur due to a software malfunction with the camera’s HXR-FMU128 controller. When this issue occurs, the camera fails to power the FMU128 up, causing the camera's memory buffer to overflow.

Buffer overflow may also occur when defective memory cards or inappropriate memory cards with low writing speed are used. If the card cannot keep up with the data flow, it will cause the camera's buffer to overflow. The only remedy for this is to replace the defective or inappropriate memory card for one that matches the NX5U specifications.

Juan Martinez
Senior Product Manager
Juan Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Upgrade process worked as described with no problems. I had been disappointed with the autofocus which also now seems to be faster and more correct though the displayed number is still wrong until manually touching the focus ring, at least the focus is now OK.!!! Will see how it performs this evening as I will use both cards and FMU. I was also impressed that Sony Canada actually rang me just after noon to tell me the firmware upgrade was now available.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Will the .exe file work on a mac or is there a mac version available?

Joe
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Okay, my update is installed as well. So now we wait and see what happens. It will take a whole lot of hours of testing to be sure we are all okay. My first Buffer Overflow didn't occur the first time until 30+ hours.

That's great news about the focus Ron. I'll have to play with that.

Let's hope we never read the words "Buffer Overflow" again! :)
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #8
Major Player

Anyone know if this European firmware will be identical to the American one? How about a USA link?
Ryan Douthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Well camera ran trouble free for just over 3 hours this evening. Focus actually worked too. It would be nice to know what things were changed in the firmware just out of interest.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I'd also be interested in seeing what the firmware does other than stop the buffer overflow. Some people report faster AF, which would be a big plus for me. Just got my NX5 on Tuesday and I love it!
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #11
New Boot

Hi guys, love time lurker, first time poster.

Just completed the update process on my NX5P (Australian version) and all went well.

Was mildly concerned that under Windows 7, it automatically disconnected its USB connection, (so couldn't manually disconnect as per instructions) but all was fine.
Ben Gourlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I completed the firmware update for my 2 NX5U USA version. The firmware update process is straight forward and painless. It took about 2 minutes each. The only thing left to do now is to say a word of prayer before my big shoot tomorrow.

Last edited by Allan Phan; May 28th, 2010 at 09:55 AM.
Allan Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #13
Major Player

For anybody who didn't understand it, Juan Martinez's post lists the link for the firmware update for NTSC users --- just follow his link to the Sony | Micro Site - NXCAM

The firmware downloaded and installed without a hitch except that one of the listed steps was not necessary on my Win 7 system. In the Sony instructions, Step 4a tells you to click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the task tray in the lower right hand corner of your Windows computer screen and click on "stop" for the NXCAM . In my case, this was not necessary because the installation software had already removed the NXCAM automatically and I was able to proceed immediately to Step 4b (pressing the camcorder's "reset" button.)
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #14
New Boot

Firmware update download for Mac?

Does anybody have information if this firmware download can be done in a macosx? or is this update exclusive for pc? Which operating system in pc then must I have to apply this update to my camcorder?
Armando Irias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #15
New Boot

OK 2 questions...

Is there a mac update available or is it only available on a a crappy pc :)

Also, I've never had the buffer issue so should I still update?
Ivan George is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders