Why did Sony exclude some common features? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 6th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Why did Sony exclude some common features?

Been looking into shooting some time lapse footage and was educated on the fact that the NX5 does not have interval recording among some other features that cameras in a similiar price range do include. Like a historgram, color correction. The Sony Z5U, Panny HPX170 among a few others do have these features.

I'm just curious on opinions as to why Sony would exclude those features and if you think they would revise the firmware to add them back?

regards,
Dave
Dave Luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Yes, it will be a good idea to add those features through firmware that weren't included in the first place. But I don't think they will do it even if it is possible to do it this way.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I just find it odd that these are features on the Z5U which is IMHO almost the exact same chassis, they basically took the Z5U and modified it to a tapeless chassis. So from a programmer/developer perspective it would seem there was already a software/code template. If so then Sony would have had to make a conscience effort to remove the features I mentioned. That is what perplexes me. I am by no means a programmer so *shrug*
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hello Dave,

Which computing platform (PC, MAC, Linux) are you programming ?
Old June 6th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #5
New Boot

Firmware updates are generally reserved for bug fixes, not adding features. They'd have to go back and add to all their marketing stuff new features. Besides, why add a feature for all users for free when you can save it for rev B and charge people to upgrade? ;-)

Conspiracy theories aside though, I don't think they consiously "took those features out," they just didn't include them. The camera was a bit rushed to market in my opinion (timecode issues and buffer overrun, anyone?).

Anyway, I'm not a hater, I bought an NX5 last month myself and am happy with it so far.
Alan Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Yu View Post
Firmware updates are generally reserved for bug fixes, not adding features.
Features have been added constantly through firmware for the EX1/EX3 cameras. Including the rather shocking and welcome addition of being able to shoot full overcrank onto SDHC cards and not just SxS cards.
Old June 7th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Back when I was searching information about this camera, I sent some e-mails to Sony regarding the missing features compared to Z5 and the answer was that they couldn't be included at that point because of the new technology used. At least that's how I understood it. The PR person said that he "wished" that the features were included.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Features have been added constantly through firmware for the EX1/EX3 cameras. Including the rather shocking and welcome addition of being able to shoot full overcrank onto SDHC cards and not just SxS cards.
I am happy to stand corrected.
Alan Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #9
Regular Crew

After looking at responses I think the "rush to market" scenario is the best explanation since all these features where already on previous Sony models as well as the capability to add them to the NX5. I would take any correspondence from a Sony "PR" guy with a grain of salt.

I hope they do add them to a future firmware revision and if they charge for it, I'd reluctantly pay for that. What I don't want to see is the next NXCAM model (aka NX7U) come out next year with all those features added. That thought process is what annoys the heck out of me and really why I posted.

You can't take the pink hearts, yellow moons and orange stars out of me Lucky Charms, add them back, then charge me more for the "upgrade" without upsetting me :)
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Luda View Post
What I don't want to see is the next NXCAM model (aka NX7U) come out next year with all those features added. That thought process is what annoys the heck out of me and really why I posted.
Get used to it. Happens all the time in this business. The EX1r is a perfect example. I would LOVE to have that HDMI out on that camera. But you know what? I've shot over 100 gigs on my EX1. Things I would have had to shoot in SD, or things I wouldn't have gotten to shoot because I didn't have HD.

If you NEED the missing features, then find a camera with them and buy it, or wait. Or you can buy a camera today, and if a new model comes out, sell yours and buy it. So you lose a few hundred in the deal. So what? There are always going to be newer, better cameras coming out. Nature of the game.
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I hear ya and I do appreciate the feedback. I understand that technology is ever changing. But I'm just not a "get used to it" type of guy. If something doesn't make sense to me I am going to ask questions. As in this case when the "technology" has been around for quite some time. I will and have done all the things you suggest ( buy, sell, buy).

I'm really only about 3 years into this and my skills/requirements with a camcorder are constantly progressing so I believe the trick is knowing exactly want you want/NEED before a purchase.

I believe the EX1 and even maybe the EX3 will be my next purchase. Hopefully later in the year. I think I will be pretty happy after that happens.
Dave Luda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders