How to get more detail/crisper picture with NX5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 18th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to get more detail/crisper picture with NX5

Has anyone have any tips on getting a more crisp image with their nx5.
Thanks in advance.
Andy Loos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

here's one setting to try...

I've done some experimenting with the detail settings and I found there was a noticeable difference with this Picture Profile setting as regards to sharpness.

Set detail to +4
Set v/h balance to -1

Compare your sharpness with a before and after test and on a good large size high resolution screen you should see improved sharpness.

I have also been experimenting with the Picture Profile color modes and will have some settings to post on that later...the goal being to get a slightly warmer, more accurate color look.

John
John Vasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

awesome, thanks John.
Andy Loos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

John - what do you mean by "v/h balance"? thnx :)
Dave Luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

v/h balance

The v/h balance helps define the width of the edge that separates areas of contrast...the tradeoff being that you don't want to get the width too large or it will have a halo effect around the edge. But a slight increase in width will achieve more perceived sharpness. A "negative" number in the v/h settings, contrary to logic, actually helps achieve this.

I don't profess to be an expert on all the technical nuances of the detail settings...but I did learn that the v/h balance plays a significant role in edge sharpness under the larger global control of the detail adjustment. It's best to think of v/h as defining the width of the edge and then a positive detail setting further amplifying the effect of it.

You can certainly try out permutations of it and see what works best for you! John
John Vasey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders