So what are we using to edit? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 29th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Myers View Post
Thanks for the responses.
Cristian, have you experienced issues with using the FX (24Mbps) files?
None so far but I didn't use Vegas extensively, just a few small projects until now.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I have had no problems with mixing 17mbps from the SR11 and XR500 and 24mbps and LPCM audio from the NX5U. Just finished several projects multicam using NX5U, SR11 and XR500. All edited with Edius Pro 5.5 with two tracks(SR11 and XR500) converted to Canopus HQ and the NX5U track native AVCHD. All projects were theatre shows over two hours each. No problems on my Q9450 PC. Audio edited in Vegas , Bluray authored with DVD Architect, SD DVD with DVDLab Pro. Bluray encoding with Vegas and SD downconvert/encoding with TMPGenc .

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Decided against the Avid option. It's upgrade to PP5 (never liked it much), Edius or Vegas. I like the Vegas audio suite as well.
Time for an evening of free trial downloads, I think.
Thanks all.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Vegas Pro 9. Using Cineform Neo HD to convert to intermediate files. AX-2000 & SR11 in multi-cam edits (up to 6 cameras).
Junior Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:00 PM   #20
Regular Crew

OK, I'm game but how long does it take to render the Cineform files? I shoot primarily documentary and nature subjects. Very high ratios. That's why I'm walking away from Liquid. Converting hours of material feels like a total waste of time.
Old July 1st, 2010, 04:57 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I only use Cineform files as proxies right now due to the length of my current projects (1.5 to 3.0 hours long) and the converted files are huge. Older projects that are shorter in length, I keep the Cineform files as archive footage (they're that good). May want to check with Cineform on conversion time. It's a subjective matter depending on your patience and computer equipment :) By the way, I only convert to Cineform because most of my projects are multi-cam. If it's only one or two tracks of video, Vegas Pro 9 has no problems editing native AVCHD files.
Junior Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:58 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Very helpful. I only shoot single camera so not so much of an issue with me.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:50 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Using Vegas 9e Pro, Done several projects...no problems with AVCHD footage on my i7Core setup, even with multicam projects..
I have a AX2000 due next week to add to my cam collection, should do fine in vegas....
David Wayne Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #24
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shufiyan Shukur View Post
I can't import the .mts file into FCP :-(
You don't do it directly.... us log and transfer, and FCP should recognize your media straight from the camera.
Details are at http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/f...CAM_FCP_FR.pdf
Fred Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:20 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wayne Groves View Post
Using Vegas 9e Pro, Done several projects...no problems with AVCHD footage on my i7Core setup, even with multicam projects..
I have a AX2000 due next week to add to my cam collection, should do fine in vegas....
How many tracks do you multicam David? I have the same setup but I bog down with anything more than 2 tracks on multicam. I'm using cineform to convert everything. I creates HUGE files bug HD space is cheap so I bite the bullet and go.

Last edited by Jeff Bradt; July 5th, 2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Jeff Bradt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #26
Regular Crew

OK Michael. Thanks. I was able to capture AVCHD files from a Pana HMC 72 though using FCP log and transfer. It should be the same with files from the NX5 right?
Old July 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #27
Major Player

My school will purchase Adobe CS5 Production Suite for me next week, with arrival in another week??? I'll let you know how it goes then. I'm also expecting an i7 based 64-bit Win 7 edit machine a few weeks later. Should be interesting. I don't mind editing at low-res, as long as I can post the final prod in HD and downconvert beautifully to DVD.
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:06 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Jeff, I do up to 3 AVCHD cams (1-Canon HG21, 2-Canon HG10s) in Multicam with no problem in Vegas 9 on my desktop, however when using my Laptop with 3 multicam work flows I do use Neoscene otherwise the laptop struggles a bit......Here are my computer Specs...

Home build Desktop (All parts via NewEgg)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Vegas 9Pro 64Bit
MSI X58Pro Motherboard
i7Core 920 2.67Ghz
12Gig DDR3 1333 OCZ
GTX295 EVGA 2Gig Video card Nvidia
7.1 Auzentech Prelude Soundcard
3-1TB 32Mb Cache 7200 Hard Drives
2-LG Blu-ray Burners
800Watt PS
24" HDMI Acer LCD
23" Dell HDMI LCD
All in one card reader
Thermaltake Full Tower Spedo case

2nd System Laptop

Dell Studio 1747
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Vegas 9Pro 64Bit
i7Core 720QM Quadcore
6Gig DDR3 1066
ATI 4650 1Gig Video Card
8x DVD+R/-R Burner
2-500Gig 7200 Hard Drives
17.3" 1600x900 HD Screen
All in one card reader
Firewire
ESATA connection
David Wayne Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #29
New Boot

I'm using Final Cut Studio 2 using the log and transfer option and editing has been just fine. On my MBP with the SD card slot, the log and transfer window comes up immediately, on my Mac Pro, using an SD Card Reader or hooking the cam up USB it takes a minute to show up in the log and transfer window (about 15-20 minutes). But once it's up, it's smooth sailing transferring it in.

I've also used Toast Titanium 10 to convert the raw .mts files to .mov, but the audio is off by 6 frames. I go this route if I don't have time to fuss with waiting for the Mac Pro to read the card. And on some occasions it's been a faster transfer, just don't forget to move the audio :).
William Bearyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bauer View Post
You don't do it directly.... us log and transfer, and FCP should recognize your media straight from the camera.
Details are at http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/f...CAM_FCP_FR.pdf
Ah! OK. Thanks for the link.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders