The NX5's top screen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Inner Circle

The NX5's top screen

Out there in the field it's a screen showing you what you're recording that's important, and the Z1 and FX1 do this beautifully. The NX5 is near useless in sunlight, and I for one would revert to the low-rez Z1's screen in a flash if I could. The high rez idea is nice if you're going to view it with a sock-lupe, but for all the rest of us having high resolution in a screen measuring less than 3'' across is a joke.

What doesn't make sense is the fact that Sony's R & D could so easily have taken a Z1 and an NX5 out into the headquarters car park and compared them side by side. The retrograde step would then have been glaringly apparent.

The Z1 allows you to bump the screen brightness (even though it doesn't need it) with a switch exposed when you flip open the screen. The NX5 (which desperately needs to have its brightness bumped in sunlight) doesn't have this switch, you have to faff about in the levels-deep menu. It's certainly not something you'd do as you exit the room and step into the garden say, it just too much hassle.

So I've got my NX5's screen permanently brightness bumped. It's better outside (but no match for the Z1) but now indoors it's whishy-washy bright, making on the spot exposure evaluations a dicey business.

That's before we get to the horrible touch-screen coating technology. Every tiny fingerprint makes the screen image even less visible in daylight - if that was at all possible.

You could say I was upset.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Trustee

I'm with you, Tom. I was shooting an event tonight with my Z1, and the photographer brought his NX5, so I got to try it again.

Going through the menu, I was green with envy with the depth of customizing available, and the low light ability was great. The ergonomics are nice, great lens, etc, etc.

But that damn LCD! It seems so small that I can even tell it's high res in comparison to the Z1.

Sigh...great camera other than that.
Old July 4th, 2010, 03:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm with you Tom!

Its not just the NX5's LCD its also Sony's Z5, Z7 and EX models.

I am hoping Canon have fixed this with their XF300 and if so then its off to Canon i go!!!
Mark Andersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Of course the first camera with an amoled screen can't be far off. Such a screen would transform all of those cameras you list Mark.
Old July 26th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've not used the Z1 or the Z5, but I use the FX-1 and DVX 100 and recently I tried out a XF 300 with a beautifully large LCD panel. Although composition is great but even in bright sunlight, it's still tough to manual focus and I had to revert to the viewfinder ....
Is it really that bad with the NX5 because I'm seriously thinking of buying it. Living in the tropics, we have really bright sunlight 365 days of the year, accept when it's raining .... :-)
Old July 27th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Is it really that bad you ask? Don't say I didn't warn you.
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I think that the screen isn't that bad at all, I always use the Sony LCD cover (SHL-32WBP) when I shoot indoor and out. It is a lifesaver. Although, I was shooting around 8:15pm yesterday when the sun was going down behind me and didn't have time to grab my lcd cover.... I had no idea what I was shooting.

Bottom Line:
If you have the nx5u BUY THE SHL-32WBP
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Here's the results of a little test I did 2 days ago.
Attached Thumbnails
The NX5's top screen-best-screen.jpg  
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Wo! Thanks so much for this! It IS bad!
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #10
Inner Circle

But note my thoughts on screen brightness controls open to you on the NX5. They help in the sunshine but of course look overblown indoors. I found I also need to bump the colour up as well - to get anywhere near the good looking little Panasonic's screen.

Sony's LCD cover is neat though outrageously expensive in my view. The money should have been put - upfront - into the screen itself.

Mark and Vito - we haven't yet talked about the ridiculously tiny on-screen font chosen by the NX5's designers At least the Z5 has alpha-numerics you can actually read as you run for your next gun.

tom.
Old August 8th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #11
Regular Crew

My God! I was shooting under a blazing tropical sun between 3 to 5 pm (Malaysian time) and the top LCD panel was completely useless!!! Couldn't focus. Couldn't even compose with it!!!

Lucky the viewfinder was dependable! But dang! Shocking for a camera that costs quite a bit.
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I'm learning to like my NX5's top screen a little more now that I've gone into the menu and switched it to full bright and also upped the brightness on the horizontal bar to nearly max. I've also bumped the colour to give the picture back some life.

Of course you have to have your zebras switched on permanently as now the screen is sort of lying to you exposure-wise. And don't be tempted to use it as a touch screen as even the tiniest finger mark reduces the screen's usability.

I'm wondering why Sony made the screen so much dimmer than the Z1's. The touch screen panel may soak some light, but was it in an effort to keep the power consumption low? Obviously bumping the screen's brightness so much above the normal means you'll be swapping batteries more often. Still, that's a small price to pay for letting you know what the lens is pointing at.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders