Is the Premiere 5 Trial DV Only? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is the Premiere 5 Trial DV Only?

I'm a FCP user but I just downloaded Premiere 5 to see how it handles the NX5U metadata as well as LPCM audio. I can't seem to import any footage. When I create a new project the only format option I have is DV.

So is the Premiere 5 Trial DV Only?

Thanks,
Joe
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Unfortunately yes. I have cineform so I could at least use that codec when I was using the trial.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Joe, I can confirm that as well. Adobe intentionally cripples the AVCHD abilities in the trial version...

I did buy the CS5 Production Premium suite, however, and found that Adobe Media Encoder does preserve original camera timecode when transcoding to ProRes...which was very encouraging. And although I haven't tested out the LPCM part of it, I hear from others that it does work.

I'll be doing more tests (visual and audio) in the near future and will post the results....John
John Vasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks John. I'm most interested in the LPCM.

Joe
Old July 22nd, 2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Trustee

Are we talking about Premiere 5 or Premiere Pro CS5?

There's 12 years development and a whole world of difference between the two.

If we are talking about CS5, then I find it remarkable that the AVCHD has been crippled in the trial version - after all, the huge speed increases when editing long-g.o.p. codecs is the main thing most people would want to sample before upgrading.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Yes we are talking about the latest and greatest PPCS5. I have the entire Master Suite and really find it to be the first upgrade in the history of PP that has been well worth the money. I swore I would never buy another, but for once I'm really glad I did.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
I find it remarkable that the AVCHD has been crippled in the trial version - after all, the huge speed increases when editing long-g.o.p. codecs is the main thing most people would want to sample before upgrading.
Adobe didn't "cripple" the trial version...

All the formats you are referring to are MPEG based. HDV, XDcam (all variants) and Canon XF are MPEG2, and AVCHD, AVC-intra, and DSLR are MPEG4.

The Motion Pictures Experts Group charges a fee for each time these codecs are distributed. Adobe would be paying MPEG licensing on thousands of free downloads if those codecs were in the trial version.

The DVC formats are all freely distributable.

So...no, Adobe isn't holding out on you.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:00 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Whether one regards the trial version as 'crippled' or not it does render it useless as an evaluation version for many users. It was only after I had downloaded the 1.5+GB trial kit & installed it that I too discovered that it didn't handled H.264 MPEG4 so there is certainly no way that I will become a customer for Adobe if I can't confirm that handling such files smoothly that they made such a song & dance about really is true.

The trial version of AVID MC5 is not crippled & can edit H.264 MPEG4.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:55 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I already have the CS 4 Production bundle so it would be only $600 to upgrade to CS 5, but I don't want to spend the money if it doesn't do what I want.

BTW - I already uninstalled and deleted the trial version from my computer.

Joe
Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:51 PM   #10
Wrangler

We have threads like this with every new version of software. You can download the free trial (without mpeg-based capability) to see if you like the software. If you want to try the full version and don't have a colleague or friend who will let you take it for a test spin, you can buy it to try it, and if not happy, return it within 30 days. I don't see why all the handwringing about this?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:06 PM   #11
Trustee

This happened to me when I downloaded a free trial of Premiere Pro CS4. I almost thought that I must have done something wrong until I searched the net and saw that AVCHD will not work. I still end up buying it the student version of Production Premium and wasn't that happy with AVCHD editing especially knowing that Nero 9 is a heck of a lot more stable, I mean, I couldn't tell the difference editing DV and AVCHD files in Nero 9. Basically any simple fast editing went to Nero Vision 9 and advanced editing went to Premiere CS4. Now that I have CS5, it's almost as if Nero Vision 9 isn't on my laptop. I have an ATI card but I do notice a stability boost. That's a very good thing because I really didn't want to spend money on CS5 and not get any gains at all. That would have been a nightmare. I can edit AVCHD files mixed with HDV and/OR DVCPRO-HD files without issues.

Anyway, I think anybody should notice at the very least a slight boost or greater, no matter what the specs are in your computer and I do believe that Adobe should somehow come up with an agreement to lower the licencing. Perhaps give people 1 to 7 days to try out AVCHD editing. I mean even if it's just 1 day, that's a heck of a lot better than not allowing people to try it out.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:20 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
you can buy it to try it, and if not happy, return it within 30 days.
I don't know of any retailer that will accept opened software for refund perhaps things are different where you live?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #13
Wrangler

Nigel,

As far back as I can remember, Adobe has always had a 30-day return. If you bought it at a retailer and they won't assist, contact Adobe:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/153/tn_15327.html#main_I want to return my order
Return, cancel, or change an Adobe order (EMEA, APAC)

I doubt if they are getting many returns on CS5, though. If all else fails, take a small loss and sell your license to another DVinfo member.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
Nigel,

As far back as I can remember, Adobe has always had a 30-day return. If you bought it at a retailer and they won't assist, contact Adobe:

Return or change Adobe orders | North America want to return my order
Return, cancel, or change an Adobe order (EMEA, APAC)
Thanks for that info I shall store it away for future reference:-)

That is very enlightened of Adobe I have honestly never come across a a retailer accepting opened box returns & software is explicitly excluded from EU Distance Selling Regulations.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders