DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   2nd cam to match Nx5u (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/482470-2nd-cam-match-nx5u.html)

Nick Popa July 27th, 2010 08:01 AM

2nd cam to match Nx5u

Hey guys,
I am a start-up "professional" videographer, and I was wondering what a good camera would be to match the NX5U's look. I can not spend over 2,000 on the camera itself so I need to know what to do. I almost always shoot in 1080/60i so I don't necessarily need a 1080p mode, though it is preferred. I am thinking that that new Sony cam with the interchangeable lens may be what I should go for (the NEX-VG10).

I would DEFINITELY buy another NX5U if I had the money, but at the moment I do not. I need the new camera to pretty much seamlessly match the NX5u, but if it is a little worse in low light that would be fine. I am starting out, and only expect to have the new camera for maybe a year or so until I can upgrade my equipment.

As far as features go, the video quality is all that matters to me. Mic inputs, LCD size, etc.. are not as important because It will just be a second camera, not my main audio recording one.

Please just give any suggestions, am looking at the following models...

1. Sony NEX-VG10
Sony NEX-VG10 Interchangeable Lens Handycam Camcorder NEX-VG10 -

2. Sony HDR-FX7
Sony HDR-FX7 3CMOS HDV 1080i Camcorder HDRFX7 - B&H Photo Video

3. Sony HVR-A1U
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/384527-REG/Sony_HVR_A1U.html
4. HXR-MC50U
Sony HXR-MC50U Ultra Compact Pro AVCHD Camcorder HXR-MC50U - B&H

Adam Gold July 27th, 2010 01:25 PM

The NX5/AX2000 is basically the same cam as the Z5/FX1000, in terms of chip, chassis and lens. And I found the Z5/FX1000 to match very well with the FX7, which as you know is not so great in low light but you said that isn't really an issue. So that's what I'd recommend.

I thnk there are still a bunch of unanswered questions about what the MC and NEX cams can do, and the A1 is really old.

Ron Evans July 27th, 2010 05:43 PM

I shoot with NX5U, SR11 and XR500 and occasionally EX3. I find little problem in matching these and if anything the XR500 is better in low light than the NX5U. Untill I got the focus fixed on my NX5U the XR500 was also sharper. Most of the time the XR500 is the wide shot, unattended camera with focus set with "spot focus" and with AE shift at -3 or -4. All of my projects are in the theatre. One has to wonder what the difference is between the MC50 and the CX550 for several hundred dollars!!! All I can see is larger battery, lens hood and mic. If you don't need these get the CX550.

Ron Evans

Jay West July 28th, 2010 04:42 PM

I've got two CX 550s which I use for b-roll with my NX5 and I can recommend them. I've shot weddings and stage performances with this set-up. Before shooting an indoor wedding, I would recommend a try-out to make sure you've got your NX5 settings right (especially white balance) matching up with your b-roll cams. I've had a couple of instances where I had forgotten I'd set my NX5 to something specific (say, for indoor tungsten lighting) and forgot to reset it. I've had pretty good luck with all three cams (and an FX1000) on auto exposure. If memory serves, Ron had some specific settings recommendations a month or so ago for matching his CX500 with the NX5 when shooting dance performances.

Junior Pascual July 28th, 2010 05:50 PM

I'd be interested in Ron's settings as I'm in the same situation. 90% of my projects are theatre performances, mostly dance. My primary cam is the AX2000 with two SR11s as my unattended wide and unattended medium-wide cams.
All footage converted to Cineform with NeoHD and edited in Vegas Pro 9.

Ron Evans July 28th, 2010 06:19 PM

I edit with Edius Pro 5.5. All cameras are set to default indoor WB. I make any changes globally in editing. Run the NX5U mainly with gain settings of 3, 6, 9 lately and with the gain limit set at 12db so if I need more than 9 I let the gain go to auto knowing it will not go beyond 12. Smooth gain is also set so that changes are not abrupt.

XR500 is set focus with the spot focus at the framing needed ( same as the SR11) and with AE shift at either -3 or -4 depending on the stage lighting. -3 if it is bright and -4 if there is a lot of contrast. SR11 is set in manual exposure and is usually right next to me so that I can occasionally adjust. This way one of them gets the lighting correct on quick changes!!!!

XR500 is the full wide shot and SR11 the medium shot. The XR500 has very low video noise, lower than the NX5U or the EX3 in most situations. Some may not like this clean picture from the R sensor Sony's but then again my eyes don't have grain even though I am getting on in age!!! I am disappointed the R sensor wasn't used on the NX5U.

Ron Evans

Junior Pascual July 29th, 2010 11:46 AM

Thank you, Ron. I'll try out some of your settings in the future. I've fiddled around with the AE a little and usually left the WB on auto. I use the spot focus on the SR11s a lot but leave then unattended concentrating on the primary cam, AX2000 for framing & composition.

If you want, check out the following link to one of the dance numbers I shot & edited recently.

David Wayne Groves July 30th, 2010 06:15 PM

You might wait a bit , I see where the AX2000 is listed for a little under $2900 which could drop even more in time for the holidays, seems it would be the perfect match for your NX5....I really like my AX2000.....