convert avchd NX5U files for easy use in Cs4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old July 29th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

convert avchd NX5U files for easy use in Cs4

I searched around and couldn't quite find this answer (maybe I missed it?)

What can I convert the AVCHD NX5U files to (using CS4 Media Encoder, or another suggested free/cheap program) so that I don't get that HUGE headache while editing.

I was convinced that my quadcore/8gb ram machiene would work... :-(

Anyway, I have lots of projects to edit and want to save the headaches. Light compression is okay (VERY LIGHT), but I really do not want to lose any quality if at all possible. Thanks!
Nick
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I use Neoscene, which can be purchased for $99.00 from the Video Guys....Just make sure you have plenty of HD drive space because uncompressed AVCHD footage can quickly add up...I can handle AVCHD footage quite easily with my i7Core Desktop and i7core laptop, its just when I do Multicam projects from 3 or more AVCHD camcorders in Vegas 9 Pro that I find Neoscene to be quite helpful, more so on my laptop.......

Camcorders- Sony AX2000, Canon HG21, Canon HG10
David Wayne Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 08:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, I will check it out. Vegas is a lot better with the avchd codec then CS4 though. Thanks again
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You can also use NeoScene files as proxy/intermediate files. Edit using the NeoScene files and when rendering, re-direct to the original AVCHD files. To save hdd space, I delete the NeoScene files and archive only the original AVCHD files.
Junior Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm shooting NX5 as a B camera to my Z5 HDV.

I create an HDV timeline in CS4 (Via HD Split) which creates an .m2t file. The files from the Sony Content Management software create a .m2ts file (extension). I have absolutely no problem laying the AVCHD footage on the HDV timeline. Okay, the ratio of HDV to AVCHD is about 5:1 as a proportion in the overall content (about 50minutes). But this workflow works for me without issue.

I also did some tests using a AVCHD timeline on CS4 and again had no issue. I can't see the need to transcode or use bridging codecs. Perhaps you should checkout your disk and system setups? Have you done the PPBM benchmark test?

Production Premium CS4 running on PC i7 920 9Gb RAM RAID 0 1TB scratch on Vista 64. Video is handled by Radeon 4890 driving an HP2475.
Old August 8th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #6
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Pascual View Post
You can also use NeoScene files as proxy/intermediate files. Edit using the NeoScene files and when rendering, re-direct to the original AVCHD files. To save hdd space, I delete the NeoScene files and archive only the original AVCHD files.
This could be an answer for my long question a couple of threads up (sorry about that), if I ever get NeoScene to work. But I´m still in doubt as to how to redirect the original files to replace the proxies after editing...

Apparently this is the best option, since the colleague that posts this question has a pretty beefed up machine and also has trouble editing...

Chris
Christian Koenenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Koenenkamp View Post

....since the colleague that posts this question has a pretty beefed up machine and also has trouble editing...

Chris
As I said, it would appear you (and your colleague) have a system/disc issue. CS4 easily handles AVCHD without bridging/proxy codecs and as I stated in my response, multiple camera inclusions.

Have you done a PPBM Benchmark test on your system? Bet you haven't... Check out the Prem Pro CS4 forum... a good place to start: Adobe Forums: Imorting AVCHD Problems - CS4 then check out the PPBM Benchmark Test.

Having a "beefed up system" means nothing if system and disk mangement are below par. CS4 handles AVCHD without proxies and on a mixed timeline.

I'm done!
Old August 8th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #8
Tourist

Hi Claire,

Thanks for taking the time to post your workflow and pointing me in the right direction. There is so much info and discussion that it can be a little overwhelming. I'll do the performance test to see where is the bottleneck.

BTW, I did get NeoScene to work and converted an 8 minute RAW clip to AVI. I had crystal clear picture for editing that previewed well with track overlays, text and effects before rendering. It seemed to put less strain on the computer. M2TS files look bad, really jagged..

Right now I'm in the middle of a simpler project, so I´ll keep working with Sony's M2TS but will do some more testing, also in FCP.

Chris
Christian Koenenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Christian, in regard to how to replace the proxy files with the original AVCHD files: First, rename the folder containing your proxies so that your NLE will not be able to 'find' it. Your NLE will prompt you for the new location of the file(s) in your project. Re-direct your NLE to the respective avchd file(s). Save your project again which now points to the avchd files.
Junior Pascual is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders