Wide angle lens / converter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old August 29th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wide angle lens / converter

Hi folks: Wanna give my NX5 a little wider angle for shooting in tight spots. Of course, I could get me a suitable lens from Canon /WD-H72) or Sony itself. Or even Century or Raynox. But these are very clumpsy and heavy - and extremely expensive.
Does anybody know about a lighter and cheaper choice - which of course should not produce any vignetting or blurring around the edges.
Thanx for any hint! - Heiner/Finland
Heiner Boeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The NX5 does not have an Interchangeable lense... You cannot attach a wide angle lense unless you purchase a 35mm DOF adapter such as the RedRock M2. Once doing so you can then purchase any suitable wide angle photography lense to attach to the adapter.
Chris Adeyefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Heiner was referring to Wide Angle Converter Lens, like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/464579-REG/Canon_1724B001_WD_H72_72mm_0_8x_Wide.html which can be mounted in front of the existing lens of NX5.
I have a cheap 150$ wide lens Digital Optics 72W002, acceptable for me, I use it rarely. It has some CA and slight distortion. Vignetting (black margins) shows when zooming in 20% - 30%. but dissapears further and blurring the picture's margins, leaving only 50% clear image in the center, sometimes I used for some creative shots.
Here is a clip where I used it:
around 1:00 (the bride shots), 1:10 through 1:24 (1:24 - here is zoomed in), 1:36 and some others. Alongside I used an fisheye lens, not only the wide lens.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

What ever the lens, you did a great job with this video, and you made the NX5 shine.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Adeyefa View Post
The NX5 does not have an Interchangeable lense... You cannot attach a wide angle lense unless you purchase a 35mm DOF adapter such as the RedRock M2. Once doing so you can then purchase any suitable wide angle photography lense to attach to the adapter.
Actually you can. They are called lens attachments and do just that. They attach to the primary lens assembly either bayonet mount or screw mount and while you do lose some iris because of the additional glass they can do a very nice job depending on the make. I've been using one for 10 years with my PD150s/170s and DSR250. It is a Kenko Pro .65 WA lens attachment and does a fine job of giving me the wider shoot I need now and then.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Good advice. Problem: Kenko does not deliver it with 72mm thread.
Greets: Heiner
Heiner Boeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:48 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Kenko is just one of many companies that manufacter WA converters or lens attachments.

For the purpose of seeing who has what for your camera you might look at say B&H just to browse. You may find the Sony is you best or only choice or you might find others.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders