DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Practically Impossible Slow Zoom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/484567-practically-impossible-slow-zoom.html)

Alec Moreno September 10th, 2010 07:00 PM

Practically Impossible Slow Zoom

Is anyone else discouraged with how difficult it is to zoom at the slowest setting on the NX5? I don't mean the semi-slow setting that's accessible with the handle rocker switch set to its minimum. I'm talking about the ultra slow zoom that I can almost never reach using the usual rocker.

I really miss how easy it was to zoom so slowly on the Z1 and FX1 and used it extensively. So does anyone have a solution out there? I don't know of any LANC that can hit this slowest setting, even though any decent one can easily hit what I'll call the "second slowest setting."

Alec Moreno
Wedding Art Films - Southern California - Los Angeles - Orange County - Video

Ron Evans September 11th, 2010 07:41 AM

I find it a lot easier to get a slow zoom on my NX5U compared to my FX1. I use either a Sony controller from one of their tripods or the Manfrotto 521. I also have a Libec that also works. The FX1 had no ramp to start and stop and was really bad compared to the NX5U so for me its a big improvement.

The Canon controller seems to have fixed speed selection as well as variable so that may be one you might look at.

Ron Evans

Adam Gold September 12th, 2010 01:36 PM

I assume this cam is just like the Z5 in this regard, so your bet best is to use Shot Transition. Not a perfect solution but the best I've come up with. Discussed extensively in the Z5 forums.

Alec Moreno September 12th, 2010 11:20 PM

I miss the shot transition on the Z1. (The NX5 does not have this feature...but thanks Adam.) However, unlike the Z1, the ability to expand focus while recording makes up for this in most cases, as I'm able to see the subjects much more clearly while racking focus manually (my most common application of the shot transition feature).

As for the slow zoom I'm looking for, the shot transition like on a Z1 would not work for me anyway as it forces you to set both the start and stop settings. The reason why I want to be able to nail a slow zoom is so that I can use it at will during a continuous shot. The best example I can think of is during a first dance at a wedding where I want to start with a wide shot and almost imperceptibly push in to a tight shot of the couple's faces over the course of 30-60 seconds. At any point though, I need to be able to adapt to the dance, so if they pick up the pace and go into a twirl or dip, I need the ability to zoom back out as needed. So I need manual control of the zoom speed.

I did come up with something that very slightly helped me on my last shoot. Just below the zoom rocker switch, stuck on a bunch of layers of electrical tape (about 20 or so) in order to give my fingers something to rest on, thus bringing them closer to the switch. Effectively, this made it so that the switch does not sit as high off the camera body and feels much more like a Z1 switch. I feel like I have a little more control over how smoothly I can apply pressure with my fingers with this setup, but the bigger advantage is that it just feels more natural to me.

That switch is still touchy though. I wish I could send it in somewhere to have the zoom speed dialed down somehow.

Alec Moreno

Adam Gold September 12th, 2010 11:27 PM

I'm shocked and I feel like an idiot. I should read more and type less.

Ignacio Munoz September 14th, 2010 02:58 PM

Have you tryed turning off the speed zoom in the camera settings? I think I got to do a slightly slower zoom than the one I had in the "slowest" setting for the handle.

(Menu-Camera set-Speed zoom-off).

Alec Moreno September 14th, 2010 06:13 PM

Yep, I already tried it with the speed zoom turned both on and off, but I didn't notice a difference in the slower zoom speeds.

Alec Moreno