Rode NTG-2 mic and AX-2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old December 10th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rode NTG-2 mic and AX-2000

I have a Rode NTG-2 mic and it doesn't fix well in the microphone holder.
I think that microphone holder is 21 mm. and mic is 19 mm.
How to fix it?
I see that NX-5 comes with a mic and a piece of rubber that fix this issue, but I don't find the reference of this gadget.
Thanks.
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

...and, annoyingly, the piece of rubber is glued to the NX5 microphone. It was just a loose piece of rubber on my Z5's microphone and could easily have been removed and used with a different microphone.

Well, certainly there are a million things you could wrap around the NTG-2 to make it fit snugly in the NX5's microphone holder. Maybe stop by your favorite bicycle store and ask for a blown-out inner tube from a bicycle tire, then grab some scissors and make your own rubber shim.

Or just peel the piece of rubber off of your NX5 microphone.

Best,
Aaron
Old December 13th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Major Player

I peeled the rubber of mine. It was just a short strip of clear double sided tape. The NTG-2 works fine. I just can't use my WS6 Deluxe Windshield unless I mount the mic on the hot shoe. When I'm shooting on a tripod, I put the NTG-2 on a mic stand to avoid camera noise.
Old December 13th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I bought an AT mic for one of my AX2000's and it was to small as well. It did however come with 2 small rubber orings that I used to make it fit. If your NTG did not come with them I'm sure you can find some that would work.

Ben
Ben Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I use about 4 O-Rings with my Rode NTG-1 and my AX2000, works perfectly.....
David Wayne Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

OK.

Thanks for the info.
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Adpapting "skinny" mikes to the NX5

I had that issue too, with my Sennheiser MKE-80 shotgun mike. The barrel is of narrower diameter than Sony's little mini-shotgun supplied with the mike, and doesn't have that rubber adapter either.

The solution cost me about $1..50 at a local hobby shop. I bought some radio-control model airplane tires of just the right size, and slipped them onto the microphone barrel (avoiding the sound holes of course).

These tires firmly position the mike, but have just the right amount of give to lessen chance of damage and provide some acoustic isolation. I leave the tires on the mike even when it's not on camera.

I have found the hobby shop to be a great resource for small parts, fittings , and fasteners needed in our business.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders