How is the AF on AX2000? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old December 19th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #16
Inner Circle

These stills are from the NX5U and XR500 in full auto. As you can see I think the NX5U overexposes and is not sure where to focus !! The snowman was a lot darker than it appears in either still. Sony tends to over expose but does show better low light for the NX5U as expected !!! The NX5U grain is also visible in the snowman still, more obvious than the grain in the XR500. For me. in auto the XR500 wins. I will post some more when I have some time showing how both can be improved in manual.
Attached Thumbnails
How is the AF on AX2000?-xr500-flowers.jpg   How is the AF on AX2000?-xr500-snowman.jpg  

How is the AF on AX2000?-xr500-twiggs.jpg   How is the AF on AX2000?-nx5u-flowers.jpg  

How is the AF on AX2000?-nx5u-snowman.jpg   How is the AF on AX2000?-twiggs-nx5u.jpg  

Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 02:29 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks Ron.
In auto mode, the NX5 may be giving a washed out picture with more grain. But the strong point is the ability to enhance the picture.
I believe you, probably XR500 is more balanced and gives a nice picture out of the box. And in some situations it's easier to adapt itself for a better picture than NX5. But the NX5 has more settings to adjust, it should be possible to achieve a better looking picture if you have time for testing.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:58 AM   #18
Inner Circle

IF you have the time and are willing to go through the settings then the NX5U will likely give a better picture as well as recording options and better audio. That is why I have one rather than a smaller camera. If you are just going to run the NX5U in automatic then I am convinced the XR500 or newer cameras will give a better picture almost all the time.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
John - to get back to your exposure question - have you tried the spotlight mode? I've found this mode to be highly intelligent (verses the stupidity of the backlight mode) and it's saved the day on many a shoot where I've had to make use of footage from an unmanned camera.
tom.
Yes, absolutely. In fact, it did save the day in this case since I was forced to rely on auto exposure. The white glittery costumes against the black background really pushed the spotlight mode to its limits.
John Gayman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders