DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   NXCAM + NanoFlash or HD-SDI External Recorders (BlackMagic Design / AJA) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/489159-nxcam-nanoflash-hd-sdi-external-recorders-blackmagic-design-aja.html)

Chris Adeyefa December 20th, 2010 12:15 PM

NXCAM + NanoFlash or HD-SDI External Recorders (BlackMagic Design / AJA)

I wanted to start this thread because i have yet to see any footage taken from an NXCAM combined with an external recorder via the HD-SDI output. This is a very powerfull feature of the camcorder that i have yet to see fully adopted by many users online in the forums as well as on youtube. I'm weighing the options on weather or not it would be beneficial or cost effective to purchase a nanoflash to record at a higher Bitrate (200mbs). I wanted to see if there are any major discernible differences in the quality to the eye and weather or not it would be worth purchasing.

If you have a NanoFlash or any external recorder utilizing the HD-SDI port can you post some footage of your work as well as what kind of External Recorder you are using (BlackMagic Design, AJA etc.)

Aaron Holmes December 20th, 2010 01:02 PM

Hi Chris -

I almost had a Nano in my hands a couple of months ago and bailed after reading of the KiPro Mini and Atomos Ninja. The Nano will, I think, have to undergo a very steep price cut soon if it's to remain competitive. At that time, I hope to reconsider it (if an SDI-equipped Ninja hasn't come out and undercut it by another $1000, that is!).

It's a tough time to be considering a portable external recorder. The market is not mature and the prices reflect that!

...anyway. On to your question:

The quality of the video signal gotten from the HD-SDI port is no different from what you get from an HDMI port, something that many similarly-priced (similar to the NX5) cameras have had for a while now. Poke around these forums and you'll find many examples of people using the Nano with, e.g., various Canon and Sony HDV camcorders. Ask these folks and expect similar results; there is nothing particularly unusual about the NX5 and Nano combo.

Best,
Aaron

Chris Adeyefa December 21st, 2010 07:34 AM

Thanks for the reply Aaron i hadnt heard about the Atomos Ninja i'll check that out. Yes i agree that the nano flash has a pretty steep price tag. They definitely need to come down significantly if they want to compete by todays standards. Given that the DSLR market is booming and are achieving gorgeous images even at low bitrates (47mbps) there doesnt seem a real need to boost it any further especially not for 2500$ which is the price of a full frame DSLR.

Thanks again i'll check out the kipro and the Atomos Ninja

Aaron Holmes December 21st, 2010 10:39 AM

Certainly the biggest thing the Nano has going for it right now is that it's available right now, and that is worth something. I just don't think it's worth $1000-2000! Not for me, anyway, and not this close to the availability of some serious competition.

If the Ninja makes it to market early next year as planned and holds to the pre-release pricing of $1000 (US), I think it's a safe bet that it will sell like crazy. HDMI will be a minor annoyance for some, but clearly they have a big enough market by going that route with the first model. And the NX5 has HDMI too, so it'll be tempting! Of course, it'll also be tempting to let a few early-adopters help Atomos polish the rough edges first. :-)

Best,
Aaron

Luc Novovitch February 8th, 2011 07:40 PM

"HDMI will be a minor annoyance for some"

Aaron,
The Ninja blurb says it deals with uncompress HDMI output. Do you know if the NX5U HDMI output is uncompressed or compressed?

Victor Wilcox February 8th, 2011 08:30 PM

The NX5U output from HDMI and HD/SDI is uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 (upper two bits are 0). Also note the output for 1080 will be 60i. If you're shooting progressive you'll have to remove the 3:2 pulldown in post.

Luc Novovitch February 8th, 2011 08:44 PM

Thanks Victor. Seems to me that for people like me (visuals that are technically challenged, to put it nicely) having mostly concerns about storage capacity, reliability and ease of use, the Sony FMU may well be a good solution at a decent price, when compared to most portable recorder. The main drawback is that it not usable/compatible with anything else.

Chris Adeyefa February 9th, 2011 07:45 AM

The FMU is great but as you said its a Storage Disk and nothing more. It will not capture uncompressed 4:2:2. For that you will need a Nano or a Ninja or u can purchase a BlackMagic Design Shuttle or Capture card at a fraction of the price. The only problem with that is you will be tethered to your computer. So it would not be good for portable situations where u need to run and gun. It would be a very good cheap alternative to a Nano in a Studio environment though.