Why do you need Sony Content Manager for dowload clips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old January 13th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Why do you need Sony Content Manager for dowload clips?

One thing that I don't like about my AX2000 is the way to join large clips. When the video is more than 2 Gigas the cam makes a new clip... but you need a 150 Megas program (CMU) to join that clip!!!!
Why can't you insert this 2 clips in your timeline and edit it seamless? It makes a sound noise or frame issue if you do it.

And another rare decision: you need to USB-plug your CAM to activate the soft. The BEST of the CAM is the use of cards, SD or Memory Stick. But if you want to join a long video YOU NEED THE SOFT AND THE CAM to do it (?).

There is any trick to join large videos without CMU. If I work with Linux I can't feed Avidemux to convert videos... Is annoying because you don't have to install ANYTHING on MAC or LINUX (only a card reader) to acces the material and manipulate it.

Thanks.
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Sony's CMU is so easy to use and it combines clips over many different cards so seamlessly and only needs a USB card reader to do it - what's not to like I think with Edius 6 you can import direct (not sure) and avoid any audio and frame loss glitches.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't see what the big issue is. CMU also imports all the recorded clip metadata (which other programs won't do) and it downloads GPS information for each clip (if you turned the GPS on).
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:37 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Well, I see two issues:

1.- You can't borrow or give the card to the client (or the raw files recorded on a disc). If he don't install and activate the CMU, he can't joint splitter files.
2.- If the client download the CMU soft to joint the clips, he needs a SONY cam to activate it.

It's a closed solution.

I know that you need to split files in 2GB in FAT32 file system. But I don't understand why that files can't join seamless without any software help.

PD: And what happens if you work with Apple or Linux? Why waste the universality of SD card to add an unnecesary incompatibility? For firt time you don't need expensive tape player to get access to the material. SD cards are cheap and universal... but you need a propietary software to joint large videos (????).
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Why not just carry a laptop with you that has the CMU on it so that you can transfer all the clips to your clients SD card once the job is done?
Shedrick Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Carry more kit? No no no, I carry quite enough as it is.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

CMU under Win 64

The Content Management Utility does not run under 64-bit Windows 7.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #8
Regular Crew

CMU runs fine on my Windows 7 64bit, no issues whatsoever.....
David Wayne Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Runs fine for me on Vista 64 or Win7 too.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders