DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Simultaneous recording (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/490181-simultaneous-recording.html)

Renny Hayes January 14th, 2011 07:02 PM

Simultaneous recording

I can't find an answer to this anywhere, so I figured I should ask people who actually own the camera. I guess it's a semantics issue, I'm just not sure what to call it. Anyway:

Is the NX5 (or AX2000) capable of dual slot recording? I don't mean relay record, I mean simultaneous, real-time back-up. I understand that it's possible to record to both a card and an FMU at the same time, but is it possible to record to both cards at the same time? This feature could really bump me over the edge between the HMC150 and the AX2000.

I don't trust SD cards.

Victor Wilcox January 14th, 2011 08:10 PM

Sorry to say that's a no.

The only simultaneous recording is on the NX5 to memory card ad FMU.

Renny Hayes January 15th, 2011 11:19 AM

Well, thanks for confirming. I'll take that into consideration.

Tom Hardwick January 16th, 2011 12:08 PM

Not only that, but you can't copy one SDHC recording to the second SDHC card in the next slot,
What do you mean. ' bump me over the edge between the HMC150 and the AX2000'?

tom.

Mikel Arturo January 17th, 2011 02:24 PM

I bet for the NX5 (or AX2000) versus the HMC150.

- x20 lens versus x13

- dual SD slots (only for continous recording, not dual recordig or diferent resolutions recording; you will need a NX5 for this) versus one.

- SD RECORDING! for me, it's a great option. Is MPG2 9.000 CBR with AC-3 at 220, not the best codec, but quite good for fast edit, convert to FLV, MP4 or Web8 and upload it. You can record master classes of 4 hours without any stop. 4 Gigas equals one hour of good SD (16:9 or 4:3) for the web.

- 1920x1080i and progresive (50i and 25p fps). One thing that I don't undestand is why AX2000 can't record 720p. The professional connections of the NX5 (SDI), extra memory box, PCM audio, and another menu options make's it enough PRO. You don't need to cut 720p in the AX2000 model to make it more domestic (when domestics cam of Panasonic (50p!), Canon, etc, have this option. The HMC-150 is the same as the NX5 without SD recording.

- similar good construction, good plastics.
- similar wide lens.
- similar external buttons. I think that AX2000 has useful button design.
- the AX2000 is VERY compact. The lens is huge if you compare it whit the body of the cam. Good external look (for the client; big lens, big lens hood with cover lens, large eyecup) very little AC adaptor, quite good LCD panel (not quite good viewfinder)...

My AX2000 records quite soft (I haven't touch anything yet). The image isn't sharp. I have seen Vimeo demos of HMC-150 and it seems sharper. I don't know why because sony has a CMOS with more pixels. But I'm still testing the cam. Let's see later.

Renny Hayes January 18th, 2011 01:26 PM

The pro features on the NX5 are always enticing, and the more modern features of the AX2000 over the HMC150 are always equally tempting. Basically, if I want the HMC150, then I really want the NX5. I'm asking about them because, if and and when I choose a camera, I need to be able to make a rational decision instead of making a senseless $1100 jump to the NX5. Anyway, thanks for that data. The main selling point for me is the relay recording, but I don't know if that's even a justified reason.

It's a battle of future-proofing vs immediate cost, and I don't have the money for either yet :)

Dan Asseff January 18th, 2011 08:25 PM

What kind of recording are you going to do? If you do a lot in low light I would go with the panny. My NX5 is horrible in low light. Just something to think about.

Dan
www.forevermomentsvideo.com