DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Are we going to get an update anytime soon? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/490546-we-going-get-update-anytime-soon.html)

Nick Popa January 22nd, 2011 09:49 AM

Are we going to get an update anytime soon?

Hey guys,
I'm just wondering if Sony's ever going to give us some new features on the Nx5. We all miss having a histogram, interval recording, different ways of recording (i.e. HD to the cards while SD to the Harddrive). There I'm sure are others too. I remember when it first was released people saying there would probably be an update with some features because that is how they did it on the ex1 (or ex3, i don't remember). Do you think it will be coming, when? a histogram would be especially useful considering the awfulness of the LCD in the sun. Even using a shade, it can still be difficult.

Steve Kass January 22nd, 2011 10:19 AM

I do not think their will be an update as Sony will soon reveal the nx6 according to some Internet rumors.

Nick Popa January 22nd, 2011 10:35 AM

Ouch, just a year after releasing the nx5! Could you show me an article or discussion on it, I'm pretty interested.

Cristian Adrian Olariu January 22nd, 2011 03:26 PM

If more of us will write to Sony then maybe we will convince them to add some features to the NX5 for at least three reasons. First, because the Z5 is cheaper and has more features - this is not fair for owners of NX5 because the camera is considered to be a Z5 with recording on memory cards. Second, because many of the same professional range cameras have these features - especially Panasonic AG-HMC150 - and they are much cheaper. Thirdly, because this action would increase sales of NX5, attracting competitors' customers.

These features are easier to add, because they are on Z5:
-shot transition,
-histogram,
-Extended Clear Scan,
-copy Color Profiles from/to memory cards,
-interval recording,
-Color Correct function on Picture Profile settings

These new functions would be nice to be added:
-realtime backup on second card slot (if possible, or at least "ofline" backup)
-HD to the cards while SD to the Harddrive
-... the list could go on.

If we want sometihing we must ask first, right?

Mikel Arturo January 22nd, 2011 07:29 PM

And 720p record on AX2000.
This not will convert the AX2000 into NX5, because it can't attach the FMU and don't have SDI output (the REAL professional options).
It's a shame that AX2000 can't record 720p. Domestic cams can record this format. The AX2000 costs 3 times more.
Firmware upgrade, please.

Dan Asseff January 22nd, 2011 10:08 PM

Cristian,

The NX5 does record HD to cards and SD to 128fmu in ether 16:9 or 4:3.

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions

Cristian Adrian Olariu January 23rd, 2011 04:37 PM

Yes, my mistake, I just did a copy-paste from Nick Popa's message. I knew it's missing one recording mode but didn't remember which one (I don't have a FMU), Actually it was about simultaneous SD recording on memory cards and FMU.

Nick Popa January 24th, 2011 04:50 PM

Yeah I actually meant to say that, mistake!

David Wayne Groves January 24th, 2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikel Arturo (Post 1610332)
And 720p record on AX2000.
This not will convert the AX2000 into NX5, because it can't attach the FMU and don't have SDI output (the REAL professional options).
It's a shame that AX2000 can't record 720p. Domestic cams can record this format. The AX2000 costs 3 times more.
Firmware upgrade, please.

I second that request as well.....

Tom Hardwick January 25th, 2011 01:49 PM

And there'll never be an NX6. Sony doesn't do even numbers any more.

Tad Newberry February 23rd, 2011 02:47 PM

Re: Are we going to get an update anytime soon?

Other feature requests:

1) When going to "Visual Search" or "SSR", why can't the camera default to record on the only recording media that is attached? You always have to choose it. I only record with the FMU128, but it defaults to the A slot when choosing locations;

2) the ability to assign an SSR setting (3 sec or whatever) to an assign button;

3) My biggest request: be able to create daily folders or different project folders on the FMU128 so that all clips do not end up in one big huge folder. It makes the ability to record 13 hours of HD almost useless. On road trips, it would be nice to not have to download the footage every night, but rather just partition the card or make different folders. As it is, we never get more than 20-30 GB per day, and then download and reformat that evening. Also, keeping it under 23 GB, all the shots archive nicely on a single Blu-Ray disc;

4) the ability to rename the cared from "NO NAME" to something pertinent to the shoot;

Some of these features might already be available, and if you know how to access/invoke them, please let me/us know. Thanks!

Michael Bray February 23rd, 2011 11:09 PM

As much as I would like to see an upgrade (would love to have a histogram), I wouldn't hold my breath. Sony doesn't typically do firmware upgrades for the sake of adding functionality. Most often they will do updates to correct bugs or performance issues but it's a pretty rare thing if they add features. I realize they added features with the EX series but I think that was an exception and not the general rule. I hope Sony proves me wrong on this. One would hope that Sony left out some of these features if they rushed the camera to market with the intention of adding the features later. I guess time will tell.

Mike

Tom Hardwick February 24th, 2011 02:16 AM

I really don't feel the NX5 was 'rushed to market' Michael. The Z5 was happily soaking up the customers and Sony was looking long and hard at the Panasonic 151 - they had lots of other cams shooting to card and had time to get the NX right.

The one button I'd like added is last scene delete. So much faffing about needed to do that on the run I never bother, but it does mean a bit more time loading the pc and time deleting them on the NLE system later.

Add a histogram? There simply isn't the room on the silly little side-screen. Too much of the picture is obliteratred already. The 4:3 screen on the 151 shows the way here.

tom.

Ron Evans February 24th, 2011 06:55 AM

Now that the consumer line has added 60P I would think that would be the next addition for the pro line. I don't think this will be firmware as it is likely a new imager and Bionz DSP version.

Tad, do you use the Sony utility to transfer clips? This way the clips are named automatically by the date and time taken and long clips are automatically joined and can be transferred to any folder/directory you make on the PC or multiple folders by selection. Since I always use this utility and the MBS for the consumer cameras I never have this problem. Clips can also be searched by date, time, GPS or faces too as the consumer MBS will see and analyze all the NX5 clips.. It will auto name a directory by the date transferred to the PC. So there are then two search criteria to sort by. The date you transferred to PC, the directory name, and also the calender view with real date and time.

Ron Evans

Michael Bray February 24th, 2011 11:25 AM

Hi Tom,

I think I used a poor choice of words when I mentioned that Sony may have rushed the camera to market. I meant to be hypothetical and say "if" they rushed it to market as it seems they left out numerous features that are common on a lot of their other cameras. In reality, I don't believe that they rushed it all. Despite it's "perceived" shortcomings, it's a very capable camera and I don't regret my purchase for a second. I really do however, wish they would add some of the features that are being requested here including the histogram. The LCD on the NX5 is the same size as the Z5, Z7, S270 and they all have one, but I guess this is the way Sony differentiates their various models. Heres hoping they provide an update.

Regards,

Mike