Auto switchover from card to card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 4th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Auto switchover from card to card

Filming a wedding on Saturday in the NX5 the camera flashed up a warning saying the 16 gig SDHC card B was nearly full. I ignored it because I assumed that the camera would automatically switch over to card A and carry on, frame accurate.

But it was not to be, so does this switch between cards only happen in chronological alphabetical order?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Auto switchover from card to card

Tom, what do you mean chronological order?
If you mean relay recording from one card to the other you are correct.

Card A almost full switches to Card B
Card B almost full switches to Card A

If you have less than 1 minute left on the card being switched to, then the card won't switch.

But it should simply bounce from one card to the other.
Although I don;t know if the number sequence will be the same.
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #3
Major Player

I believe the card switches automatically from card A to B, but not from B to A. This was certainly the case with my GY HM100, not tried with the EX1. I have always thought of slot B as being the end of the tape. (old habits, and all that).
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Major Player

The NXCAM manual says it is supposed to switch from A to B when A is full and then, when B fills up, switch back to an empty card in slot A. On my copy (for NTSC) this is on pp. 22 - 23 of the Nxcam Manual.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The recording will switch between the cards continuously. The intent is the full card gets removed( once the record light goes off) and replaced with an empty card. When the card being recorded on has less than 1 minute AND the other slot has a a card with empty space on it then the cards will switch. Card direction is not important it will start with the card selected either A or B.
It works on my NX5U though I normally use the FMU128 now. I tried when I first got the camera out of interest.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks guys, I must give it another test but I'm pretty sure my NX5 just switched off recording when B was full, even though A was empty and waiting to carry on. I'm pretty sure there isn't a menu option that I've ticked to make this shut-down happen.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #7
Major Player

Tom, from the Sony website.
[quote] Cards are hot-swappable and when one card fills up, recording continues un-interrupted on the second card. However, once the second card is full you will need to change cards; the camera won’t go back to card slot A and start recording over your footage again. Remaining recording time is ever-present on the LCD screen and in the viewfinder.
See it here, about halfway down http://www.sony.lv/biz/lang/en/lv/co...ticlesection=5
Old April 5th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #8
Tourist

You have to turn on the option, for some reason mine came with that option off by default...check the manual and look for relay recording.
Alan Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:25 AM   #9
Inner Circle

There is no setting for the relay recording for cards in the slots that I can find in the manual or on my NX5U. There is a setting for prescribing which is used for recording the cards or the FMU. There are also settings for which start/stop buttons on the camera start or stop which memory media. So one can have the FMU start and stop for the handle button and have the Card slots when the record button is pressed etc. For instance this would allow the FMU to record all the time and just start the memory cards for important places where one would like a backup copy too, or have an SD copy on the cards for quick processing later. Pages 22 to 24 in the manual.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #10
Tourist

My bad, I was working with a jvc 700 last night and for some reason my head told me the menu's were similar....now...I remember one time I was recording a convention and I had 1min left on the memory (I didn't noticed that before pressing rec) and started recording hoping for the cam to switch automatically but it didn't, in these situations you have to switch manually by pressing the slot letter on the back of the cam. Now to avoid this you should get the FMU unit, is really worth it.
Alan Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Well I can tell you for sure that if you have two empty cards in your NX5 and start shooting on card B it'll automatically switch over to card A when B is full up. I've just tested it this morning.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders