last minute NX5U questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

last minute NX5U questions

im just trying to get things straight before i purchase this amazing camcorder. i just hope that i have my facts straight and im not lacking any knowledge of this camera.. my questions are does this camera have a waveform monitor and vetroscopes monitor like the HMC150?

also are these the only features the NX5U has over the AX2000? also what is the "high speed zoom"? is that going to be more responsive with the zoom ring to simulate it actually being like a real manual zoom lens?

1.720p recording
2.Linear uncompressed audio (Dolby AC-3 only)
3.FMU capability
4.Simultaneous recording (due to lack of FMU)
5.GPS, timecode setting, or date recording
6.Upgradability to 60i/50i switchability
7.SDI / HD-SDI
8.TC LINK
9.SDHC card support (Not mentioned on Sony specs page) *
10.B&W EVF mode
11.macro focus
12.high-speed zoom
13.smooth-transitioning gain and white-balance
14.hyper gain
15.viewfinder markers and safety zones
16.numerical zoom display and focus distance display in feet
17.black level
18.black gamma
19.knee and color depth adjustments
20.manual white balance setting
21.colorbars with tone
22.individually switchable front & rear tally lamps
23.shutter angle display
24.hour meter
25.TC reset via remote control.
26.Fewer tweaks for color modes, gammas, and detail settings.

Thanks for the help!
Mike Butir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: last minute NX5U questions

Have you also considered and discounted the impending HXR-NX70j ?

Sony NXCAM HXR-NX70J: Yet another pro camcorder | TechFever Network

but to answer your question.

add, "Super Slow Mo" to that list ...

OT: both B&H and Adorama have the HXR-NX5U at approx $3999.00 at the moment ... i just mention it as a price guide for you because i see sellers offering the NX5U on ebay for $4800+ ( and i wonder if people actually are paying that price)
Justin Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:08 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm not sure about your entire list of differences...

The most important thing to me was, the ability to use the FMU with the NX5U.

B&H sells that as a kit for about $4,400 which isn't too bad a deal, and that is what I got along with the 20W sony light and a couple extra big batteries.
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

No vectorscope or waveform monitor. I think you have the rest correct. Why don't you download the manuals and check. I bought the NX5U because at the time the price different was only $200 in Canada and when I considered the fact that the NX5U came with a bigger battery and mic it seemed a better deal all round. I also wanted the smooth gain control which for me is very important.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Good decision mike sounds like you will put all these features to good use! If your interested i might be getting rid of my barely used NX5 with a 3 year extended Henry's camera warranty.
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Hewitt View Post
Have you also considered and discounted the impending HXR-NX70j ?

Sony NXCAM HXR-NX70J: Yet another pro camcorder | TechFever Network

but to answer your question.

add, "Super Slow Mo" to that list ...

OT: both B&H and Adorama have the HXR-NX5U at approx $3999.00 at the moment ... i just mention it as a price guide for you because i see sellers offering the NX5U on ebay for $4800+ ( and i wonder if people actually are paying that price)

HXR-NX70 looks like a very nice smaller camera which, unfortunately for Mike, will not be shipping until July. It looks to me like Sony Broadcast Division's replacement for the venerable A1u. It seems to be based on the new consumer CX700: uses the same a 1/3" single EXMOR sensor and G lens but has more manual controls and buttons than the CX; has the ability to shoot 1080/60p and 24/p (neither of which are available on the NX5), the same 96 gb on-board flash memory plus card capability (but no relay recording), the same 10x zoom, plus a decent lens-hood and an XLR module with a short shotgun mike. I and several others have noted that the CX cams in auto mode can sometimes do a better job than the NX5 in auto mode, particularly when you get into dim lighting. (But, you get an NX for its manual adjustability which can overcome those differences, plus the array of additional functions). Doubtless that the NX70 will be a very nice little camera. However, it will not be available before July and B&H anticipates a price of $3200. See this link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761581-REG/Sony_HXR_NX70U_HXR_NX70_Compact_Dust_and.html
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

1080-24p IS available on the NX5.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks for the replies everyone!

Can anyone list off the color adjustments that the NX5U offers over the AX2000? Do you have a lot more control over the image then you would on the AX? Gamma, black level and stuff like that..
Old April 5th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Goldberg View Post
1080-24p IS available on the NX5.
Ooops. That is correct. I even knew that. Sorry.

"Can anyone list off the color adjustments that the NX5U offers over the AX2000? Do you have a lot more control over the image then you would on the AX? Gamma, black level and stuff like that.. "

Yes. Easiest way for you to get a complete listing is to go to Sony eSupport - Electronics to find and download the manuals. NX adjustments are on pp. 33-40, AX adjustments on pp. 37-38.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

thanks for your reply!

it is pretty significant with how many more color adjustments the NX5U offers over the AX2000! with that many different features to play around with i should be able to obtain a pretty nice looking image with the NX5U. it is by far way more color adjustments then i am use to on my sony FX1!
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:35 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Yes Mike it is a big improvement over the FX1. I moved from my FX1 because the XR500 and SR11 were making it look like the consumer camera !!!! I like my NX5U but focusing is critical, seems more critical than on the FX1 likely because the picture is so much better that out of focus scenes are very obvious. The little consumer cameras have much better autofocus too so always produce a pin sharp image. I find the auto focus on the NX5U to be about the same as the FX1 ( not very reliable). I use the expanded focus and peaking now a great deal and now get sharp focus. Neither of these aids are on the FX1.

Ron Evans
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #12
Regular Crew

the FX1 did have expanded focus and peaking but the peaking modes were only white and your not able to change the color like you can in the NX5U. so i always had trouble getting a nice focus on rack focuses. but i am certainly looking forward to being able to get my hands on the NX5U. what other features do you like about this camera?
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Yes Mike I did mean the colored peaking, button for the expanded focus is in the same place on the NX5U as the FX1 !!!!
Other things I like:-

Smooth gain control as I often have to change gain settings while recording in the theatre.
Picture profiles are more comprehensive than on the FX1
PCM audio, XLR's
LCD is a lot sharper too.
FMU128 which I like since I do not now worry about changing tapes in a performance.

Change over from FX1 was painless using same batteries and LANC controller etc.

I like the totally tape-less work flow. I have a Quantum Ultrium HH LTO3 data tape backup unit that is well worth getting and back up all source video to this by project and finished videos to another tape.

Ron Evans
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #14
Regular Crew

it sounds like this is going to be a great camera!

one last thing i was confused on is how is the progressive modes for 24p 30p ect different in the NX5U vs the AX2000 progressive modes? i heard its native 24p and 30p on the NX5U.. what does that mean? its true progressive unlike how it is on the AX2000?
Old April 8th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I have no interest in the slow frame rates so do not know of the differences between the AX2000 and the NX5U.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders