NX5U slowmotion solutions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old May 20th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NX5U slowmotion solutions?

i like that this camera offers the smoothslow recording and i think that it is very cool. however, i don't like how much it downgrades the quality. i filmed a scene in 720/60p, is that the best way to do slow mo with the quality still preserved? and then just slow it down in post? what would be the best way to make the smoothest slowmotion and what software to use? i own a mac so i have Final Cut pro with the whole suite including motion ect. any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the help!
Mike Butir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: NX5U slowmotion solutions?

If it's in 60p, just slow it down by 50% in your NLE. There isn't much processing going on, so I doubt you'd see a noticeable quality difference between the different algorithms different NLEs use.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I just love the NX5's slo-mo and find myself using it on every project. You have to be shooting in the 1080p mode for it to work and you'll need good light as the shutter speed ups to 1/215th sec, but the effect is miraculous, and far outstrips anything I can get from post production - and especially so at that 4x slowed down speed.

Once down-converted to SD for DVD the degradation of the original footage is all but invisible. Love it.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Tom,

I was filming 1080/60i. you think that if i film in 1080/30p it will look better? and how come i cant film slow mo in 720/60p mode?
Mike Butir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Not quite sure what you mean by 'look better' Mike. You mean look better after filming in slo-mo? 60i gives the smoothest, most natural looking footage as you're effectively shooting 60 different pictures per second. 30p is only 30 pictures/sec, so is always more jerky when there's subject or camera movement.

The NX5 can't film in slo mo if you've selected to shoot in 720p mode.
Old May 31st, 2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Major Player

I film a lot of motorsports and, because of this, I shoot exclusively in 720/60p. Gives me lots of options to slow in post without loosing any quality.

Here's a clip I shot and edited with the NX5U with several uses of running 'slow-mo" (and a couple scenes with a Canon HF10 and GoPro, but those are pretty obvious.) To achieve this, I just conform the clip to 29.9 using Cinema Tools for FCP and edit on a 30fps timeline. Note, that you can't switch the clip back to 60fps after doing this. So be sure to make a copy first.

YouTube - ‪DSTV Reports - Global Rallycross Round 2 Highlights - Extended Crash Cut‬‏
Ryan Douthit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Major Player

Ryan,
I see you set your setting to 720p/60fps for motorsports, what Shutter Speed are you using?
I know the typical rule would be 125 sec - but do you find a different SS better suited for cleaner captures?
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #8
Major Player

One more question...
In your rally demo is that all shot with GoPros and the NX5u - or are there other cameras involved?
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Fantastic film Ryan, l loved it. Brave, leave 'em wanting more editing. Ace slo-mo.
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Tom, Chris.

I think I was running 1/250 at the GRC event, sometimes I run 1/180. Never really saw much of a need to bother with the 180 "rule" in what I do.

There are a couple shots where I used a (beat to hell) Canon HF10 for a "C" camera. The shot at the very end, for example, is one where I just point it and leave it running on key locations. But in sports it's more about the content than anything else, ESPN used the parting shot of the cars all jumping in a line from that HF10 in their post-live coverage because that camera was the only one that got it. All the on-car cameras are GoPro HD's.

Recently, I sold all my NX5U gear and replaced it with a Sony A77 setup with a pair of 2.8 zooms and all the annoying but necessary rig pieces. I film a lot of low-light, fast action (such as rally stages in the night, or even in dark forests.) and plan to add either an FS100 or FS700 to my kit later this year. The big reason is that my clients are now asking for 1080p as a minimum and (as you know) with the NX5U I'd lose my slow-mo option. The Sony A77 manages 1080/60p easily, and, though the codec for the AVCHD doesn't seem to be as robust as the NX5Us (muddy shadow areas with the A77, for one) if I keep in mind it's shortcomings, I think it ultimately is more flexible for what I do. Though, it is a lot more fiddly with the extra sound box, etc.

Here's something I shot with the A77 just last weekend. (yes, awful moire in the very last shot. But, having filmed in this building many times before with the NX5U, the rest of the piece was much, much better than the old camera could muster.) Most of the shots in the "Or, do you want this...?" section were filmed with the NX5U over the past couple years (exception of the sliding blue rally car and the parting shot of the sticker, those were done with the A77)

Old October 12th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #11
Major Player

"No budget for gas" Ha! that was fricken funny!

Nice piece - so this was shot for a kickstarter project - whats the URL?
Thanks for responding...

As for shutter speed - so if I understand you correctly....
You shoot (shot) mostly in 720p/60fps at 180-250 seconds for most of your motorsports stuff.
Slow motion was set at the NX5u stock setting (1080p/60I - 250sec)

I'm heading out Sunday to shoot a race (for fun ans camera testing) where I'll see smaller cars at 70-90 mph on an asphalt road circuit track. I'm gonna try these settings, but any other info/settings you want to toss my way I'll defiantly give a try...
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #12
Major Player

Glad you liked the line. That was me doing the scene.

Here's the URL to the campaign:
Subiesport: The TV Series by Ryan Douthit — Kickstarter

For the NX5U I shot with the camera set to 720/60p so I could slow footage down in post. 1080/60i is effectively 30p, so that wouldn't do anything to help for slow-motion. Using the 720/60p setting several of my shots have appeared in Ford commercials.

For example, in this Ford clip 0:22 (truck jumping), 0:27 (rally car), 0:26* (go pro, not NX5U), 0:44 (truck), 0:58 (car jumping) and the money shot at 1:00 (truck jumping), 1:05 (truck jumping) were all mine and all shot with the NX5U at 720/60p. This ad ran on ABC and ESPN during Prime Time and who knows where else.

For action sports, go with as fast as a shutter as you have light for. That's my general rule. Though if you get too high, it can sometimes look strobe-ish. Which, sometimes looks great depending on what you're doing.

One other piece to look at, my last action video shot with the NX5U before I sold it. LOTS of slow-motion and some 5D Mk II mixed in as a B-cam. Incidentally, Apple licensed one of the shots from this clip for their TV commercials. (Hopefully they actually use it.)

Almost everything I shoot is hand-held, full manual (even focus) since smoke and dust can confuse sensors at the worst possible time.
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #13
Major Player

So I took your advice over the weekend and I was amazed at how well my footage came out. I had to adjust for different settings, but all in all I am very pleased with the results. Now that I have a path in which to follow, I should have this nailed very quickly!

Thanks again for your help - and if you EVER need a shooter here in Colorado Springs (or Denver & Pueblo) - let me know - I owe you a big one!

Here is a very short of before and after...and a little slow motion as well.

Old October 19th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #14
Major Player

Right on, glad to be of assistance. :)
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:09 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I shoot college soccer in the SEC at 720 60P. The slow motion I achieve is terrific once I run it through TWIXTOR in after effects.

Taking the same footage and applying it to a 30P timeline gives good quick 50% Slo Mo but with Twixtor doing it's think you can take the same footage down to 20% and have outstanding Slo Mo that help our players understand how a play developed and was executed.

For anyone using slo mo the best APP for that is TWIXTOR.
Dan Herrmann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders