Sony NX5U auto shutdown? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old May 27th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #1
New Boot

Sony NX5U auto shutdown?

Does anyone know if the Sony NX5U has an auto shutdown feature? Thank you, Umberto.
Umberto Palmeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony NX5U auto shutdown?

No, It doesn't have auto shutdown.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Major Player

When the battery dies.LOL
Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Can you explain what you mean by "auto-shutdown" and how it affects (or does not affect) what you want to do?
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Jay,

Most non professional camcorders shut off after 5 minutes if not in use. Most all professional cameras do not shut off until you turn it off or the battery dies.

Dan
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:44 AM   #6
Major Player

My initial assumption was "shutdown after five minutes of inactivity," but when Umberto called auto-shutdown a "feature," it made me wonder if I correctly understood what he was looking for. And I'm still wondering why or how it makes a difference for his use of an NX5.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:35 AM   #7
Major Player

Jay, I think he is wondering if there is a setting were you can turn on the auto shut off. I am pretty sue there is no such thing.

Dan
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:14 AM   #8
Major Player

You are correct about there being no auto-powerdown. Neither my NX5N nor my FX1000, for that matter, have an auto powerdown function. With tapeless recording, you do not need it. Automatic five minute powerdown was to protect against undue wear on the heads. The thinking was for the old cameras that they basically held the tape in pause when not shooting, and leaving it on pause for extended periods of time could affect the heads and the tape. Although tapeless cameras do not need it, my CX550 cams still have the function and a menu setting for turning it off.

So back to Umberto's question: is auto-shutdown (a) something you want to turn on and cannot find or (b) something you are worried about and want to turn-off? If you want to avoid it, then not to worry. If you want it, what do you want it for?
Jay West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders