DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Questions of uploading footage on Macbook Pro, and various external HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/496910-questions-uploading-footage-macbook-pro-various-external-hd.html)

Robert Lee June 8th, 2011 09:55 AM

Questions of uploading footage on Macbook Pro, and various external HD

Hi everyone.

I'm getting ready for a shoot in a few weeks, using the NX5U camera, and wonder if any fellow dvinfo members have any problems uploading footage from the camera directly into a Macbook Pro, and or external hard drive. Or if there's any steps/technique you recommend to ensure hassle free with uploading...

Thanks!

Dipesh Parmar June 9th, 2011 02:22 AM

Re: Questions of uploading footage on Macbook Pro, and various external HD

Hey there, I do the the following, i copy all the footage onto a SSD Drive via the macbook pro like this: -

i Copy the contents of the media onto the drive, and then name each folder card 1, card 2, etc... if you are using the flash drive the same thing applies...

then when using final cut pro, it will join the files together into one, or spilt files depending on pauses...

please make sure you copy everything from the flash media or drive do not leave any files uncopied.

good luck...

Robert Lee June 9th, 2011 06:21 AM

Thanks Depesh:

I'm glad you said that, I was talking to the crew, and we all were thinking of naming
the folder's by the shooters name to keep it simple.

I've also asked by crew to bring their HDrive so we'll have mutiple places to save it.

Guess I was a little worried if I may forgotton something, and wanted to pick people's brains. :)

~Robert

Dipesh Parmar June 9th, 2011 06:29 AM

Nope Problems, But before you take the camera on the Shoot do a Test and See if it all works, Shoot something for like 30 mins to a 1 hour on the camera. then Copy all the files for the SDMedia or 128GB Flash Drive and then Import it within Final Cut Pro. I also use a PC and use the Sony Content Manager to Join the Footage together, then in my PC (Edius) Software Convert the AVCHD File to a AVI File for Edius to handle the load. (when in Final Cut the import will convert the AVCHD in a Final Cut Pro Res or Final Cut Quicktime file). Try this before you take it on a major shoot. this way you can workout your own work flow and all...

But

Work Flow that Works is as i said before.

Robert Lee June 9th, 2011 10:04 AM

Ok, gotcha. Have you have any problems uploading to Final Cut Express?
I think the majority of the editors do not have Pro, but Express, so we may
have to dump the footage there.

Thanks!

Dipesh Parmar June 9th, 2011 06:36 PM

We Have not tested express, but i think the engine for the import on Pro and Express is the same,.. But just Try it...

Daniel Paquin June 10th, 2011 03:24 PM

Do not forget to change your audio caption to Dolby.