DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Wind protection for NX70 mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/497275-wind-protection-nx70-mic.html)

Mike Beckett June 16th, 2011 02:50 PM

Wind protection for NX70 mic

3 Attachment(s)
(Chris/mods - sorry if this appears like spamming - I am separating some of this into individual threads because I think it might be easier for people in future to find information in specifically named threads. Feel free to merge/re-arrange!)

Doubtless people will want to get some wind protection for this camera's stock mic.

First the facts as I see them:
- This is a very wide angle lens, 26mm. You can't use a long mic or a straggly, furry wind cover on this.
- My ATR875 mic, which is just about 2-3cm longer than the XM1 mic supplied with the camera, is OK until you try to add a softie or a windjammer, where the fur will hang into the top right of the frame
- Using adapters or brackets (Rode shockmounts etc.) would in my opinion be awkward on this camera. It is supposed to be small, low-profile, and making it tall and awkward will mean it won't fit in your bag, and it will be unbalanced.
- So you need a short mic, and a low-profile wind jammer of some sort

Looking at the options I rejected:
- My existing Rycote 12cm softie or Rycote mini windscreen, they hang into the picture.
- Rycote Universal Camera Kit offset brackets etc (making it ungainly, as above)
- Rode deadcats - I think they really are too large, too long, and too furry
- Rode Windjammers (WS6 etc.) - too large
- Rycote smoothie - I saw mixed reviews for these, nobody was raving about them (and they seem to be not talked about much)

So, I thought I would try the Rycote 10cm mini windscreen. I bought it from a UK supplier for around £70 including the furry wind cover, and tried it tonight. See the photos.
You slip on the internal "mini blimp", then the fur cover goes over it. I can't see why I would use it without the fur. Thankfully it doesn't hang into the frame, there's a good bit of clearance. The fact that the stock mic is sealed at the back (integrated XLR cable) it should protect that end from wind.

Of course, there'll be other solutions, but this works for me.

John Dutton November 19th, 2011 10:39 AM

Re: Wind protection for NX70 mic

Had the same issue with my WindTech Mic Muff. My in-the-field fix was to tape up the lower area with gaffer tape. Looked horrible - but worked like a charm.

Eric Kruis November 22nd, 2011 09:12 PM

Re: Wind protection for NX70 mic

After spending beyond my original budget on the camera, extra batteries, charger, filter, etc, I went with a Windcutter fur windscreen. Seemed like an affordable option and a similar one worked well on my old Canon GL2.

I haven't been out to try it yet but it does not seem to invade the picture even with the lens opened wide. It cost me around $50 US. It simply slips over the supplied Sony mic.