Win 7 64bit OS any problems. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 21st, 2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Win 7 64bit OS any problems.

I am just waiting for my HXR-NX70P to arrive and have been looking through the owners manual displayed on this site ( I realise its for a NX70U). On page 71 - 72 'Saving images to a computer', Preparing the computer. In a note halfway down page 72 it indicates that 64bit systems are not supported. I have Win 7 Home premium 64bit OS service pack 1. Now I hope this just means that the 'Contents management software' will just install in compatability mode e.g. Programs files (x86). Can anyone confirm? If its not the case I am going to be have to think carefully about buying the cam!! I also have Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11. Can one just import straight into VMS 11 thus bypassing the contents management software?? Look forward to any help forthcoming, cheers.
Warren Eagleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 02:01 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Win 7 64bit OS any problems.

Warren,

I'm working in Windows 7, 64bit. No problems at all (other than the 50p/PCM audio problem documented elsewhere, and that's not a 64-bit Windows issue).

The Sony Content Management software works fine as well.

This is all for video transfers, I haven't really bothered with still images. I actually can't see me ever bothering with them!

Edit: also, to be honest, I normally don't bother with the software, and just plug the camera in and pull the files directly from the folders on it, just like I would with a USB stick or a memory card from a stills camera!

Last edited by Mike Beckett; June 22nd, 2011 at 06:31 AM.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:44 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The real value of the Content Management Software is that it will join files together if the clip length is longer than the FAT32 file size and will rename the clips with the date and time they were shot.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I shot an hour's worth of continuous, standard high definition video and imported the files two ways: via the content management software and directly by copying each of the files. When I joined the files with video editing software, there was an audio drop-out at the point where the clips were joined. The one file created with the content management software played without problems. If you're creating lengthy video files, it looks like you'll need to use the Sony software.
John Rakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Good to know, just stinks that the import software is very slow and gives me not responding errors but after a while it imports. The best import software I have used was the canon xf100 management importer it worked flawlessly.
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I think there is something wrong with your installation of the Content Management Software. It should be fast and trouble free. It works with no problems for my NX5U. Takes a little getting used to in setting up folders for transfer etc but once that is understood there should be no problems. I would uninstall and install again.

Ron Evans
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Ron I had the nx5u and never had any issues with importing clips I just don't remember if this was the same software. I dont think it was? I put it in my desktop and it's slow but fingers crossed no errors. I will try reinstalling it in my laptop.

I also notice im not in spec with the software it recomends 2.8 cpu's and both my laptop and desktop are 2.4's that could be my issue. I had bought a new desktop last month from BH photo and it keep crashing so sent it back, I will live with this for a little and keep testing out the camera.
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:14 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Current version of my NX5U CMU is 1.1 and there are no others listed. I have upgraded my motherboard and cpu to GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 wirh Intel i7 2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4Ghz quad core with 8G RAM. I had a Q9450 2.66 Quad core before and could not play more than one track of AVCHD in Edius 5.5. With the new board and CPU I can play multicam with 4 tracks of AVCHD native. NX5U with PCM audio, SR11, XR500 and CX700 all 60i. So the PC does make a big difference. Upgrade cost me $633 and about a couple of hours to do myself.

My CX700 is very slow to transfer to PC from the internal flash memory. 2 hours files from the other cameras will transfer in about 12 mins but from the CX700 it takes 30 mins !!! I have thought of using SDHC cards and fast card reader but haven't tried that yet.

Ron Evans
Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Eagleton View Post
I am just waiting for my HXR-NX70P to arrive and have been looking through the owners manual displayed on this site ( I realise its for a NX70U). On page 71 - 72 'Saving images to a computer', Preparing the computer. In a note halfway down page 72 it indicates that 64bit systems are not supported.
Like everyone else has mentioned, it most definitely works with Win 7 64 bit. Unfortunately, a lot of people misinterpret the way sony wrote the manual. Page 71 indicates OS compatability as Microsoft Windows XP SP3 *2 / Windows Vista SP2 *3 / Windows 7. Page 72 then explains what the asterisk means. *2 means it doesnt support the 64bit or starter version of Windows XP SP3. It's kind of confusing and trips up a lot of people but rest assured, it works well with Win 7 64bit.
Michael Bray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders