DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   How "splash proof" is the NX70? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/498225-how-splash-proof-nx70.html)

Bill Hollinger July 8th, 2011 05:38 AM

How "splash proof" is the NX70?

Does anyone know if the can safely be used in situations like these (at 25 seconds and at 3:40 YouTube - ‪Dogs and Kids, Summer Fun‬‏ where a considerable amount of water is splashed on the camera, and if FCP or Premiere (CS 5.5, which I just bought on Adobe’s half price deal) will handle the 1080 60P? It would be nice to have higher quality than I can get from the little Panasonic TS3.
Thanks,
Bill

Bart Walczak July 8th, 2011 08:07 AM

Re: How "splash proof" is the NX70?

CS5.5 supposedly handles 1080p60 without a problem, but there seems to be some glitch with Windows 7 if the sound is recorded as PCM, not dolby digital.

Mike Beckett July 8th, 2011 10:22 AM

Hmmm... this is the one thing I haven't tested yet. It is supposed to be OK with water as long as it isn't high pressure water from a tap or hose.

I've had the camera out in reasonably heavy rain with no problems. But the one test I am _not_ going to do is get it progressively wetter and wetter to see how far I can push it!

Bill Hollinger July 11th, 2011 05:47 PM

It appears to weather the splashing with no problem, but apparently 60P does not record an audio file?

Les Wilson July 11th, 2011 05:56 PM

I used Clipwrap to ingest and convert my TM700 camera's 60p to prores in one fell swoop. Slid nicely into FCP. I find it hard to believe there's no audio unless it's an overcrank 60p.

As far as splashproof goes...Sony's NAB display just made me cringe:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-...ml#post1638267

Bill Hollinger July 11th, 2011 07:10 PM

I tried FCP, converting the AVCHD files to ProRes in Toast 10, and also importing them directly into Premiere 5.5, and neither has audio in 60P. I don’t see anything in the manual saying it only records audio in 24P and 60i.

Mike Beckett July 12th, 2011 01:18 AM

Bill,

Make sure you have set audio to Dolby Digitial, not LPCM. Most software can't cope with 60p with LPCM yet for some reason.

The latest Sony Vegas, and Edius Pro seem to be the only options for that at the moment.

Great video too, the camera seems to live up to the waterproof hype. And great doggies as well!

Bill Hollinger July 12th, 2011 05:14 AM

Thanks Mike. So the camera is recording audio in 60P, but it is only available Vegas and Edius? Neither of these is available for macs. I hope FCP or Premier will update soon. I saw this notice about AVCHD 2.0 this morning,

AVCHD 2.0 expands to include 1080 50p and 60p: Digital Photography Review
The AVCHD video format specification has been updated to include 1080 60p and 50p video. The AVCHD 2.0 standard has been approved by Sony and Panasonic - the co-promoters of the format. The move also includes additional support for high definition 3D movies in the format. Up until now, both companies have made high-end camcorders that incorporated out-of-specification 60p video in what was otherwise an AVCHD arrangement.

Mike Beckett July 12th, 2011 05:18 AM

Bill,

60P audio works fine if you set the camera to Dolby Digital, I've been recording all weekend at that setting and it's perfect. It's under the audio settings in the "Camera/Audio" menu.

As your comments and link say, it does seem like Sony and Panasonic were pushing the boundaries with their 28 Mb/s 60p in any case, and the standards are just catching up.

Bill Hollinger July 12th, 2011 08:43 AM

Thank you Mike! Was that in the manual, or did you just figure it out?

Bill

Mike Beckett July 12th, 2011 09:18 AM

Bill,

I panicked for half a day, then spent a day trying to update drivers, update Windows, update codecs, tried CS5.5 instead of CS5, tried a Vegas trial, searched the web until I went blind, and nothing helped.

There wasn't a mention of it anywhere, not in the manual, not on Google, not on DVinfo.net...

Only then did I calmly try all the different combinations of video quality, frame rate!

Bill Hollinger July 12th, 2011 09:24 AM

Mike I am very glad you preserved! I wonder how many others are encountering the same frustration?

Bill