Filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old July 31st, 2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Filters

Has anyone tried using filters, ND, polarizer, etc?
If so, have you had any problems with vignetting or actually fitting the filters. I came across a review where the user mentioned having to modify the hood to fit a polarizer.
Any info gratefully received.

Owen
Images of our world | Owen Kilgour | SmugMug
Owen Kilgour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:45 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Filters

I'm sorting out which ND filter(s) to get, just not sure what I need, I do want to get something on the lens for protection too. I've also heard that adding filters requires modification of, or removal of the lens hood. I was considering this set: 37MM VIDEO ESSENTIALS DV KIT. Here's where I saw the info about the modification: Sony Spraycam NX70 | Film and Digital Times: News
Mark Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Trustee

I have added normal Tiffen ND and B+W UV filters without any problems on the NX70. I have ordered two more B+W ND filters. This didn't require any modification of the hood. You could only fit one normal filter under the hood, or (maybe) two slim ones - but I haven't tried slim filters yet, I haven't found any in the 37mm size.

I bought a Lightcraft Workshop 37mm fader ND, which is a great piece of kit... but (a) it doesn't fit under the hood and (b) it vignettes at wide angle.

I posted a photo of a filter on my camera here. This is the B+W filter, the Tiffen ND is just the same fit.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I bought the little two filter Sony kit, and the ND filter fits exactly like Mike’s photo shows. In bright sunlight the exposure ranged fro f5.6 to f6.8 (depending on the subject - f5.6 for wet, black dogs) at a 60th of a second. The image quality appears unchanged, and it wipes dry as easily as the glass coving over the lens - a word on that. I have a TS3 (and TS2 before that) and when they get wet, a fog-like film covers the lens and seriously degrades the image quality. It’s fairly difficult to get the lens clean. In contrast when the Sony gets splashed with some force and copious amounts of water, a quick dab with a towel renders it completely clean. The deep lens hood keeps all or most of the water off unless the water comes directly at the lens. It’s pretty amazing, and since the water proof feature is what let me to the camera, I’m delighted! The image quality is also surprisingly good. I’ll put some clips together and post a short video.
Bill Hollinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 05:44 PM   #5
Trustee

In general, I don't like to use filters on my lens as much as possible. Here's why: If you point your filtered lens into the sun, or a brightly backlit scene, you'll actually see reflections of the filter! Remove it and the problem is gone. Also, having a filter requires super clean glass. Any lint or dust spot will show up in your recorded image very obviously.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Warren, have you tried using multi coated filters? This should help reduce reflections. Looks likes NDs will be essential in some bright situations such as on snow.
Owen Kilgour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Trustee

I prefer B+W MRC (multi-resistant coating) filters, which really reduce the glare and starburst effects found on other brands of filter.

I have a B+W UV on the camera all the time, and sometimes replace it with a B+W ND1, ND2 or a Tiffen ND3 depending on the lighting conditions. I would rather scratch my UV filter than scratch my lens, and "normal" viewers don't seem to notice any problems.
Old October 10th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #8
New Boot

I just tried the b+w circular polarizing filter; vignette seen. I will try the heliopan slim version once it arrives
Aldous Acuesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #9
Trustee

I've just bought a Polaroid variable ND filter from Amazon, not that expensive. I have yet to carry out proper tests on picture quality (waiting for some brighter weather), but it doesn't vignette at all.

I do have some concerns about the quality of the glass on a £30 ($50) circular polariser compared to the more expensive models (the seriously vignetting Lightcraft Workshop model costs £70 or $110 approx). But that may not be an issue.

I will need to file a bit of the plastic away inside the lens hood, as described elsewhere. That'll be an interesting experiment for me.
Old October 14th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #10
New Boot

Heliopan 37mm Slim still vignettes on the widest angle.
Aldous Acuesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #11
Trustee

Just to correct my post...

I meant to say:

"I do have some concerns about the quality of the glass on a £30 ($50) fader ND filter compared to the more expensive models"

Not circular polariser!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders