Firmware Upgrade coming early 2012 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old August 5th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Firmware Upgrade coming early 2012

Nothing about zoom control mentioned, but I just found this article...

Sony are listening to us…there are two things missing from the NX70 and both are being addressed early 2012 with a firmware upgrade (FW).

1. 720p is a very useful setting but is missing from the NX70…this will be enabled with a FW upgrade.

2. The second FW upgrade is music to my and many NX70 users…the ability to to record onto card and internal memory at the same time, once again this will be enabled early next year.

There may be other enhancements nearer the time but this is indeed fantastic news for all NX70 owners, it just goes to prove that Sony take our comments seriously. Firmware upgrading is a great advancement in todays new technology allowing companies like Sony to enhance features that may only become apparent after the camera hits the marketplace…top marks to Sony.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Firmware Upgrade coming early 2012

Good news that Sony are updating the camera.

Still, "early 2012". I'm glad I'm not in a hurry for it!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #3
New Boot

That is good to hear, hopefully there will be more included such as the fixing the zoom issues...and that early 2012 doesn't mean June! Can't really complain much though, this camera's been pretty nice to use.
Mark Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Mark,

I don't mean to be contradictory, but I feel as though the the camera is overpriced given it's features. Frankly, if it were $400 less, I would consider it to be properly priced. But, given the feature set available with the Canon XA10 and the XF100, and their respective price points, I can't help but feel strongly about the fact the Sony is overpriced. In addition, I don't understand how Sony can call cameras that use the AVCHD codec "professional".
Adam Palomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I tend to agree with you that the NX70U is a little over priced when looking at the other cameras in a dry and clean environment. If you are not going to get it wet or dusty then the other cameras mentioned or even the CX700 may be a more economical choice. However there are NO other cameras that meet the wet and dusty criteria. I am happy with my CX700 that has almost all the features of the NX70 at 1/3 the price. I would pay more to have XLR inputs with PCM audio and the extra menu systems when compared to the CX700 that should make it more like the Canon XA10 for price and have the edge in 1920x1080P60 which the Canon does not have and is now my only choice for shooting.

My combination of NX5U and the CX700 meets my needs and I will get a HX9V shortly to just slip in my pocket. Just wish the NX5U was 1920x1080P60 too.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #6
Trustee

It does rather depend on your definition of "professional".

Use of the word "professional" does not automatically suggest any given set of standards, it implies it can be used as part of a commercial process, i.e. to make money, rather than amateur. Plenty of people are making money from AVCHD cameras from Sony(NX5, FS100 etc.) and Panasonic (HMC150, 40 and 80). Aren't the DSLRs all AVCHD?

Now, whether it is acceptable to any given broadcast standards, that's another thing.

Sony are "bigging up" the weatherproof capabilities of this camera, which much surely add to the cost. Now, I find it useful, I have been out in pouring rain that would have cancelled filming before, or forced me to use a cumbersome rain cover.

You could probably remove waterproofing from the equation and save that $400, I don't know. Buy the XF100, and bang goes most of the imaginary $400 reduction, just to buy two compatible CF cards! 96GB of built-in Flash memory means I haven't had to fiddle around with memory cards since I got this camera, it's quite liberating.

I love my NX70. I'm not ashamed to say that, it works well for my (serious amateur) purposes. If your market is online video, or DVD or Blu-Ray, then AVCHD is surely more than adequate. Perfect for event and web video.

If AVCHD (or the NX70 specifically) is _not_ your thing, then thank goodness there is choice in the market, and that there are Canon and other cameras available. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy a Sony AVCHD camera!

And yes, the CX700 is a fine camera, and if you don't need the extra features (XLR etc.) then thank goodness that option is there as well!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Well stated Mike! I paid $2,670 (out the door price) from an Authorized Sony Dealer! I've loved every minutue of this camcorder. I edit using Sony Vegas Pro 10 and it works perfect (camera and software)! The price is just right, as it is priced between the Canon XA10 ($2,000) and the Canon XF100 ($3,000).....(if you can find one)! Whatever you buy, it's a personal preference. So the "what's a good price, inflated price and not priced right" argument to me is meaningless.

Last edited by Troy Moss; August 9th, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
Troy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Made my $2,670 back (and some) with AVCHD!!!! Clients were happy too! What's not professional about that!
Good for you. Ultimately, each person evaluates a product's success based on his personal level of satisfaction, a subjective criterion.

Anyway, the point is that AVCHD is not broadcast quality and to market it within the "professional" market segment is a bit of a stretch. Incidentally, the same applies to Canon. Still, the only advantage the NX70 has over the XA10 is the water/dust resistance. That kind of environmental sealing is easily achieved with the proper rubber gaskets. That is to say, Sony's design is not revolutionary or technologically unique. Still, I realize that many are very passionate about their purchases, so I will stop here.
Adam Palomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #9
Major Player

Adam, another advantage you forgot to mention in favor of the Sony was 60p. So the rain and dust protection and 60p. On another note, good to hear about the Firmware updates!

Last edited by Troy Moss; August 8th, 2011 at 10:01 PM.
Troy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Well, I've seen some pretty shoddy stuff "broadcast"... far worse than what one could deliver from one of these newer single CMOS cams...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders