Still photo image size question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old August 10th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Still photo image size question.

Have been taking some stunning video and have noticed that one has to be quite mindfull of exposure in bright conditions. What seemed like a nice day for video turned out to be a bit bright when I checked the iris setting and found, auto was selecting F 9.6 and the picture still suffered some blown areas.The application of an ND4 filter (25% light transferance) dropped the auto F stop down to F 7.3 and the picture was much improved.
However my real reason for posting was that I am a bit mystified about the 12 megapixel still image capability. I have the camera set to 16:9 FX and that is displayed on the LCD along with the 12M symbol. The resultant JPEG still images when downloaded to the computer are only between 3.8 MB to 4.3 MB. I was expecting round 6 MB. What is the forums experience?
Warren Eagleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Still photo image size question.

Those file sizes sound about right after compression, which will vary depending on the scene - pretty close to the 12Mp 16x9 images my other Sony still cams shoot.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #3
New Boot

I have noticed the same thing! So, when in the viewer you see 12M for the size of the pic you're ready to take with this camcorder, what do we need to do to actually get the same size in the end, on a computer? Thank you
Jean Philippe Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Jean, don't confuse megapixels with file size which is expressed in megabites (MB). I have a 10million pixel Nikon SLR but it produces JPG pic's round 6 MB. My point in my previous post was that if the NX70 is capable of 12 million pixel shots the file size should maybe be round 6 to 7 MB. The NX70 stills are not a patch on the NIKON SLR which has a much bigger sensor and is geared toward still photography. Hope that helps you understand, cheers.
Warren Eagleton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders