Lens hood for VCL-HGA07B? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old August 27th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #1
Major Player

Lens hood for VCL-HGA07B?

I occasionally use the Sony HGA07B wide angle lens on my NX70, but doing so eliminates the hood. Anyone have any ideas? The OD of the lens is 62mm (63 if you include the rubber grip ring) I looked at the Cavision hoods, even the one for the HG0737Y is too big at 77mm. I don't want to use a giant hood/mattebox either. Is anyone using this lens?

Last edited by Matt Sharp; August 28th, 2011 at 01:12 AM.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Lens hood for VCL-HGA07B?

I use these wide angle lens also for when I had my Sony A1U. I will be trying out a few hoods/matteboxes that I currently have when I get my NX70U camcorder this week. I'll try to post some pictures. I just sold my Sony A1U and it has the same 37mm lens thread.

I know you dont want to use a mattebox but it looks really cool. I used the Cavision 3x3 mattebox configuration for the A1U but with the Sony HGA07B lens. Since the NX70U doesn't have a tape bottom loader like the A1U then I also won't be needing the spacer as shown on the Cavision site.

Cavision Matte Box Configurations for HC1/A1U
Aldous Acuesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Aldous,

I'd love to see some pics of any mattebox setups for the NX70! I wonder if any of them vingette, the NX70 seems like a pretty wide lens, much wider than the Sony A1 if my memory is correct.

There was a review that used "nun's knickers" on a mattebox on an FS100, which meant it was possible to use (and actually adjust) a fader ND and use the mattebox/flag to avoid glare. If you use a mattebox with a step-down ring adapter, it gets awkward.

Of course, you then get the luxury of proper 3x3 or 4x4 glass ND filters, but that's one more thing to carry!

Oh boy, I wish Sony had given us a switchable ND!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #4
New Boot

Mike,

Yeah it gets really annoying having to switch between the 3x3 filters and especially because they're so expensive compared to the regular circular filters. I got the mattebox for the A1 mainly because of the same issue (can't fit filters behind the regular hood) with the NX70; well with the NX70 you can fit some filters.

I really hope that there's no vignette with my mattebox. I'll try to post pictures by the end of the next week with my results. I still haven't received my camcorder! haha.

- Aldous
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #5
New Boot

The NX70 has vignetting with the Cavision 3x3 Mattebox and the Sony VCL-HGA07B; I was really disappointed. I'm trying to make adjustments to the hood to avoid the vignette. I'll post updates soon.

- Aldous
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:05 AM   #6
Trustee

Aldous,

That's a shame about the vignetting for you. The VCL-HGA07B is 0.7x - that takes the NX70's 26mm wide to about 18mm, which is extreme wide angle.

The NX70 without a wide angle adapter is still slightly wide than the A1 with the adapter, maybe it isn't too much of a problem.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders