DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   AE response what does it do? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/500595-ae-response-what-does-do.html)

Andrew Parker September 12th, 2011 01:37 AM

AE response what does it do?

I have HXR NEX5E does the AE response in the (camera set) adjust the shutter speed it has (fast) (middle) & (slow) and would this help in low light shooting & how? i have seen mentioned changing shutter speed on the HXR NEX5U are these cameras identical function wise?

Ron Evans September 12th, 2011 07:36 AM

Re: AE response what does it do?

This adjusts how fast the camera responds to a light change on the scene. It can thus be a slow change, medium or fast change to the lighting conditions. Of course this only works in automatic exposure so will use whatever parameter is left in automatic.

Ron Evans

Andrew Parker September 13th, 2011 01:46 AM

Thanks for reply, i understand a bit of what you are saying but when you say "Of course this only works in automatic exposure so will use whatever parameter is left in automatic" ? i am new to this, also would this help in low light conditions?
thanks.

Ron Evans September 13th, 2011 05:18 AM

No. All that parameter is doing is controlling how fast the automatic exposure system responds to a change in the lighting of the scene that the camera is pointing at. It is sometimes better to have a slow response when panning around a scene to stop the camera exposure changing in response to every small change in the lighting. The system will use whatever parameter is left in automatic since they can all be set to automatic or manual independently on the NX5. Consumer cameras usually have a fast response and auto scene detection too. The small Sony's will focus on faces in the scene and fast respond to focus and exposure for these above all else in the scene as an example. My small Sony cams are much better than my NX5U for automatic operation. I never run my NX5U in automatic so this parameter is never invoked.

Ron Evans

Andrew Parker September 13th, 2011 11:17 AM

Thanks for that detailed reply much appreciated.

Andy.

Sebastian Alvarez September 18th, 2011 10:17 AM

By the way, this is a great feature in this camera. My other camera is a Panasonic AG-HMC40, and using auto iris in that camera is horrible, to the point where it can never be used, even when you need to. Lets say you are shooting a wedding outdoors, and you are zoomed in to have just the bride, groom and officiant in the frame, and behind them there's a tree or something with leaves that the sun is shining on. Now let's suppose there's a gust of wind that makes the leaves move a lot, so the overall light level of the frame changes. In Panasonic cameras, the auto iris causes an abrupt change in the iris, opening and closing like crazy as the leaves move. This can even be triggered by something as small as a white butterfly flying around the couple.

The Sony never does this, its auto iris is flawless and with the AE response it's even better because you can tell it how fast or slow to compensate for the change. So that frees you from having to adjust the iris manually all the time, like if the bride comes from an area with a lot of shade and then walks out in the open and the sun is shining on her. If you do that manually, it will never look as good as the camera doing it.

Of course if you are shooting a movie or something where you can stop the action and do it all over several times, then you have the luxury of setting everything manually, but for event videography the auto-iris in the NX5 or AX2000 is excellent, especially when combined with AE Shift at -2 or -4 to avoid overexposure.