DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Do you see Difference of video shot by NX5U vs EX1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/500798-do-you-see-difference-video-shot-nx5u-vs-ex1.html)

Robert Lee September 17th, 2011 02:59 PM

Do you see Difference of video shot by NX5U vs EX1?

Hi Everyone:

I'm preparing for a shoot in November, so it's possible that the extra camera's I may
secure for the shoot are EX1 to go with my NX5U.

I'm trying to schedule a practice shoot with the 2 different cameras, but till then,
I thought I ask everyone here:
Has anyone has done a shoot using these 2 different cameras?
If so, do you notice the difference in video quality?
If there is a difference, how much correction is needed (color?) when it comes to editing the footage?

Thanks!

Robert

Michael Johnston September 18th, 2011 05:26 PM

Re: Do you see Difference of video shot by NX5U vs EX1?

I've used both side by side to compare before buying. Ended up going with the NX5U because the difference in quality was so marginal that it didn't justify the extra money. Technically, the EX1's 1/2" chips are better than the NX5U's 1/3". The EX1 is slightly better in the blacks in low light situations but if you are going to Blu-ray or will be exporting out of the NLE to a file then the compression will essentially eliminate any difference you may see in the raw. It's only when mastering back to tape (such as HDCAM) with no recompression that you can see a difference. As far as color, you can actually match these cameras up pretty good.

The biggest concern I would have is mixing formats on editing. On one hand you'll be shooting AVCHD and the other you'll be shooting XDCAM EX. My suggestion is that if you are going to mix cameras, get NanoFlashes for each camera to capture footage. Remember, the NX5U captures 4:2:0 to cards but HD-SDO out is 4:2:2. Good luck.

Ron Evans September 18th, 2011 08:22 PM

I edit in Edius native files no problem with EX3, NX5U, XR500, SR11 and CX700. All are usually set at the Sony preset indoor WB as my shoots are in the theatre and there is little if anything to do in matching all 5 of these cameras. All shoot at 1920x1080 60i.

Ron Evans

Tom Hardwick September 21st, 2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lee (Post 1682776)
Has anyone has done a shoot using these 2 different cameras?
If so, do you notice the difference in video quality?

I've done just this, sharing two wedding days with an EX1. Do I notice the difference? Very much so, even off a lowly DVD. There's no way my NX5 can match the far more expensive and much less zoomed EX1, and nor would I expect it to.

The EX1 is much better in the gloom and the smoothness of the images is a delight - as is the differential focus when my NX5 leaves everything sharp.

tom.

Robert Lee September 24th, 2011 05:44 AM

Thanks everyone, although, I was just informed, that the 2 cameras more likely will be the JVC GY HM100U, instead of the EX1. So now I've got to figure out the best positioning of each camera for the shoot, to make it work. Outside of finding a substitute for those 2 cameras (which may be difficult) I'm open to suggestions.....

Les Wilson September 24th, 2011 06:06 AM

Additional lighting may be in order:
JVC GY-HM100 Review

Robert Lee September 24th, 2011 10:22 AM

Thanks Les:

Yes, that's what I'm worried about with the JVC, of the low lightning issue. I'm waiting
for the theatre manager/owner give the green light for me to inspect the facility
to see where I can shoot, and what the visibility is. If I'm limited to shooting the balcony
then the light kit will come in handy. (I hope)

Richard Crowley October 6th, 2011 12:28 PM

I have a portable multi-camera, live-switch system (Panasonic AW-HS50 switcher). I have one EX1 and two NX5 cameras and I am having fits trying to get them to "match" even a little bit. The NX5 cameras seem to have MUCH more chroma than the picture from my EX1. I would rather like to tone them down to match the EX1, but not sure if this is even possible? I am at the point of getting another NX5 just so that I have three matching cameras. I can always use the EX1 for single-camera productions and "wild" shots, etc.

Ron Evans October 6th, 2011 12:51 PM

You should be able to match them almost exactly using the Picture Profile settings available on both cameras. Set them up shooting the same scene ( like a color chart etc) and then create a custom PP1 or PP2 setting that matches them for each camera. Save as your own preset.

P84 in the EX1 manual and page 33 in the NX5 manual

Ron Evans

Robert Lee October 6th, 2011 08:54 PM

Hi Richard, out of curiosity what type of shoots do you do when you use that many cameras. Concerts? Documentary? I'm working on a music documentary where the 1st shoot takes place in an old fashion theatre.

Richard Crowley October 7th, 2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lee (Post 1686943)
Hi Richard, out of curiosity what type of shoots do you do when you use that many cameras.

Mostly live-event productions, some music concerts.Some live streaming.