DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Transferring Files to Hard Drive and Importing to NLE later (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/500946-transferring-files-hard-drive-importing-nle-later.html)

Dan Speicher September 21st, 2011 06:46 PM

Transferring Files to Hard Drive and Importing to NLE later

I just picked up a sony NX5 after using a Canon xl2. I love the footage, and it seems to import fairly quickly. However, Im often on the road, with just an older Macbook Pro and dont want to take the time and energy to capture the files into FCP from the cards.

I have tried downloading the cards onto an external hard drive, and then importing/ L&T at a later date the get error messages.

I have 96GB of SD cards, but I never want to be on the road and not have the files backed up in multiple locations.

How are you transferring the files from the SD card to the HD and then into your NLE? I am completely lost!

Ive looked at every page under NXCAM forum and couldnt find anything. Please help,

Thanks

Dan

Michael Johnston September 21st, 2011 07:48 PM

Re: Transferring Files to Hard Drive and Importing to NLE later

Transferring to a hard drive and then using L&T later should work fine IF you copy the entire card as is, and not just the video files. I'd suggest creating a folder on your hard drive for each card (Card1, Card2, etc) and copy the entire card and all folders/files to that folder. If that doesn't work then there's a glitch somewhere because it should work.

Dan Speicher September 22nd, 2011 09:14 AM

Thank you Michael.

Do I need to use disk utility to do that. I tried copying everything that I could see when I put the card into the reader but that apparently wasn't enough.

Andrew Parker September 22nd, 2011 03:25 PM

If i want to clear a SD card I copy the (video files) and the (clip info) to an external HD when i am out then when i get home i transfer them back to their folders on the card (copy/paste) this works every time.

Chris Sgaraglino September 23rd, 2011 11:14 PM

I use a 250gb Hyperdrive (B&H Photo) to backup all cards on the road, and if, and only if I must - I will format a card and resue it... But getting the complete contents of each card is key. Then when I get home I use the Sony CMU to move files form the Hyperdrive to my main computer (then to backup).

Dan Speicher October 3rd, 2011 10:18 AM

Thank you very much guys. I was copying the files not the entire card and having trouble with that. Thanks again