Fader ND options for NX70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old September 29th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Trustee

Fader ND options for NX70

Hi gang,

I've been looking at getting a Fader ND for my NX70, in an effort to cope better with bright conditions without having to resort to super high shutter speeds and risking strobing on moving subjects.

Now, for confirmation: a contact on Vimeo told me that he has direct confirmation from Sony that there is NO internal ND in the NX70, and that Sony themselves recommend using screw-on ND filters. My recent investigations seemed to demonstrate this as well.

Whether or not that is a good thing isn't up for debate, it is a fact. I have toyed with the very future of this camera with me (my thought was to look at upgrading to an NX5) - but stuff it, I bought the NX70 for its extreme small size, weatherproofness and other features.

So here's the questions, and I know the answers have been touched on already, but I don't want this buried in an inappropriately named thread.

Has anyone got any experience with a fader ND?
Which brand, and which size? Do you use a step-up ring?
Does it vignette at all?
What are you doing for a lens hood to reduce glare?

I went for the Lightcraft Workshop 37mm fader ND (it could probably fit under the hood with modification) but it vignettes unacceptably, so I am hoping there are other options.

There's a

but it looks a bit cheap to me.

Readers, it is over to you!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders