NX5 replacement in 2012? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: NX5 replacement in 2012?

...but it's not really an NX5 replacement, is it Chris? It's a whole different type of camera, it's no more a replacement than the Pansonic AF100 or Canon C100 is, apart from the price point.

It is odd. JVC have the HM600, Canon have the XF300, both approved for ENG use in Europe. I think the Panasonic HX250 may be as well.

Sony don't have anything at all in that category, which is odd. Presumably they are making their money from the big shoulder cams, or have enough ongoing sales of the NX5 to make them think it's still a viable model.

Actually, aside from the slightly older chips and non-approved codec - what's wrong with the NX5 as it stands? Edit: apart from 1080 50p!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
Actually, aside from the slightly older chips and non-approved codec - what's wrong with the NX5 as it stands? Edit: apart from 1080 50p!
The Sony competitor to the JVC and Canon is the PMW 150/160 I think . None of these have 1920x1080 50/60P !!! A NX5U with better chips, 50/60P AVCHD 2.0 and touch features of the consumer camera would get me to change my NX5U. I am happy with AVCHD and a move to the PMW160 doesn't make sense as it is cheaper to get a Ninja 2 for my NX5. The noise issue for the low light/ high gain problem is solved with Neat filter, just render time. I don't think the NEX-EA50 has the flexible zoom speed or range I am looking for in the theatre that the NX5U provides so I am thinking of getting a NX30 and a VG30 to supplement the NX5U and my other small Sony's. In typical Sony fashion the VG30 lacks picture profiles/assignable buttons, but has full dial control of parameters not on the NEX-EA50 like gain /iso !!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Hi Mike

I wasn't trying to pass off the 50 as a replacement at all but simply suggesting to Stelios who does much the same work as me, that the EA-50 does a good job in this area! If you are doing slomo shoots too the 50 has 1080 50P which even the JVC lacks ... with the firmware update Panny 160's have 1080 50p but not 130's

If Sony are still making the HX5 then surely that says that sales are still good and why change something that works

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
I am just wondering if the guys who have the NX5 now are going to replace their camera with the "new "model" if it comes.

stelios
I replaced my NX5U with an FS100, so I already moved along. The two major issues I had with the NX5U was it's poor low-light performance and the inability to do 1080/60p. Both of these are crushed by the FS100.
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #35
Inner Circle

A XAVC prosumer cam would be next probably. Remember the 4K prototype from CES? That most likely will be a XAVC cam. My problem would be the 1/3'' sensor size.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
A XAVC prosumer cam would be next probably. Remember the 4K prototype from CES? That most likely will be a XAVC cam. My problem would be the 1/3'' sensor size.
It may not be 1/3" or even 3 chip . We will have to wait and see but I think you may indicate the direction as there is no point in Sony bringing an AVCHD version of the PMW160. Although I would like the changes I have mentioned in my other posts I don't think it will happen. I am beginning to expect my NX5U will stay with me for a while !!! I think the new 4K cam would be an addition just like the NX5U was an addition to my FX1 until I couldn't take the difference between the FX1 and all the other AVCHD cams I had.

Ron Evans
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #37
Tourist

Hello to all,

I am new here and also have a new NX5. B&H says it is still one of the best for weddings and still in the best seller list. It has a rebate available that might indicate it is coming to the end of its time. It seems to be a very robust camera but I'm struggling with the fact it is already over two years old in technology standings. I have only had it for two weeks so I'm still adjusting/ learning. This forum is the best NX5 source I have found, and I have been reading every thing for two weeks straight. I'm going to just have to relax and get over it, and enjoy the camera. Thanks for everyone's posts.
Dennis Siebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #38
Major Player

I have th NX5 too, mainly used for events, weddings etc. great camera - as an affordable camcorder it just works - no faffing about!! ( if they issued a new one with lower light capabilities and 4K in time id go for one)
I'm not an early adopter, I like to wait a year or so before getting anything, at that stage any bugs, defects have been resolved and the product will have somewhat matured. I waited and waited ever since canon brought out the EOS 5D - and continued to wait till the Mark III came out, got that early this year another superb camera.
So i think that your not buying old technology but rather tried and tested stuff.
Welcome & enjoy the NX5

R
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Dennis I was one of the early adopters got one of the first NX5's in Canada at the end of 2009. Since it was one of the early cameras it had the lens issue as well as the problem with FMU128 and SD card locking up the camera. Both solved quickly by Sony. Read through all the old posts about picture profiles and setup for best focus etc. Once you get used to setup it performs very well. At first I was a little disappointed in the picture when compared to my little Sony's ( SR11, XR500 at the time) Looking at the data codes of these little camera and also the NX5U in auto I realized that the camera performs best when iris is close to F4 or wider. Picture will start to degrade at F5.6 or smaller so switch in the ND's. It is not as noise free as the small Sony Handycams either. 6db and its starts to show noise. If I need to go with high gain I end up running file through a Neat filter which works wonders though takes a little computer time of course. Make sure flicker reduce and macro focus are OFF ( unless you need it of course). Focus is VERY critical. I have peaking on all the time to check and setup using the expanded focus. Backfocus is good so unlike a lot of the smaller cameras once setup one can zoom in and out without needing to refocus all the time. Backfocus was the issue with some of the early lenses and Sony changed mine. Now I know how to set up etc it has performed flawlessly over the past three years. ( I think it took me a year to figure out how to use it even though it wasn't too different from the FX1 I had at the time !!!!)

Ron Evans
Old March 6th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #40
Tourist

Thank you both for the heads up. ....). I had decided to purchase the EA50 and asked B&H for advise. That is how I ended up with the NX5. I have had a DVX100A
since 2005 and have recently been shooting with two Nikon D7000's. The NX5 has made life much easier being a dedicated video camera. I am still amazed by how good the DVX looks when I play an old wedding DVD....). So I'm new to Sony..
Dennis Siebert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders