NX5 replacement in 2012? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old October 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Major Player

NX5 replacement in 2012?

Hi all,

I'm currently using the Sony Z7 (HDV) as a main camera, with the NX70 as a secondary camera. I'd love to switch entirely to full HD 50p and will be replacing the Z7 sometime next year.

Are there any rumours yet of a new NX5? Hopefully with 50p?

If not, can someone just make something up?
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: NX5 replacement in 2012?

No, Sony has nothing in the works that anyone is aware of. If they are working on a replacement, the rumors won't start until around December. That is when leaks happen to get people excited about NAB. I doubt Sony replaces the NX5 anytime soon. A Z7 equivalent with a removable lens and 50p, perhaps a NX7, probably won't come until 2013. Even if a replacement is unveiled at NAB, it won't be available until late September 2012. Sorry to bust your bubble.
Michael Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post

If not, can someone just make something up?
NX5R with AVCHD 2.0 will be out next summer along with the HXR-FMU256.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Greetings to all...I guess I'll be the contrarian in the bunch, and hope Sony doesn't come out with a new version of the 'NX5' too soon. I plan on purchasing in the near-future and nothing makes me more angry then buying an expensive item only to have it become obsolete the next day. Now, I'm grown-up enough to understand the minute something is released to the public it becomes 'obsolete', but it still aggravates me. Jus' say'in.

BTW, anyone have a real objection to this camera or know of a deal-breaking technical issue? I've tried to perform my 'due diligence' and researched everything I could find on this website and others. In a perfect world (read: All the $$ I need) I'd love to purchase the Canon XF300/305, however, based upon what I've discovered in my research, the 'NX5' has a lot going for it. The 20X G lens alone is a great feature. I do a little wildlife study on my own time and the old 'stills photog' in me says, nothing can substitute for focal length (I'm sure there's a joke in there.).

Besides, I like the veiled reference to "I, Robot". "All NX5s report to Cyberdyne HQ for instructions." Heh, heh! Oh, well...my inner geek is showing.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kuhn View Post
Besides, I like the veiled reference to "I, Robot". "All NX5s report to Cyberdyne HQ for instructions." Heh, heh! Oh, well...my inner geek is showing.
In iRobot they were NS-5s, and Cyberdyne is from the Terminator series.

The only thing I see the NX5 missing is 1080p60. Although it does have 720p60.
Attached Images

Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Major Player

Matt...damn! Oh well, my 'geek gland' got the best of me on that one. Heh, heh! Thanks for the info on the 'NX5'.

Best regards,

J.
Old October 18th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I have had the NX5U since it came out a couple of years ago and also have Sony consumer SR11, XR500 and CX700. I would like the upgrade to have the following :-

Touch Spot focus like the consumer cams, in fact implement the touch functions from the consumer cams !!!
Assignable AE shift to the control wheel or iris control with on/off to a button.
An AE hold button could be assigned to one of the assignable buttons.
AVCHD 2.0 with 1080P60
Replace sensors with the "R" sensors
Level indicator in the viewfinder like the EX range
Depth of focus indicator

Would likely go and buy the moment it came out !!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #8
New Boot

I am looking to upgrade my camera and the NX5U is at the top of the list. This coming from a Canon user. I would love to have a XF300/305 just can't justify the cost. I am not a professional just a dad/coach with a camera. The 20x lens is a must have for my needs (baseball, football).

I do not know of any negatives this camera may have - in it's price range.

Anyone have any experience with the NX5U and sports?

What would be the best mode to use 30/60?
James Ratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
BTW, anyone have a real objection to this camera or know of a deal-breaking technical issue? I've tried to perform my 'due diligence' and researched everything I could find on this website and others. In a perfect world (read: All the $$ I need) I'd love to purchase the Canon XF300/305, however, based upon what I've discovered in my research, the 'NX5' has a lot going for it. The 20X G lens alone is a great feature.
I've certainly no "real objection" to the camera, far from it - it's great for the money you pay - but whilst more expensive, the XF300/305 are decidedly better still.

As far as lens goes, the biggest difference must be that the NX5 lens has continuously rotating iris and focus wheels without end stops - the XF300 is like the Sony EX, with a "true" manual mode. I'd consider that more significant than a relatively small difference in max focal length.

There are lots of other differences, but the second most major must be that the extra money gets you a full-broadcast spec codec with the XF300 - the NX5 is limited to AVC-HD without an external recorder.

Pay your money and take your choice. You get what you pay for.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Ratliff View Post
I am looking to upgrade my camera and the NX5U is at the top of the list. This coming from a Canon user. I would love to have a XF300/305 just can't justify the cost. I am not a professional just a dad/coach with a camera. The 20x lens is a must have for my needs (baseball, football).

I do not know of any negatives this camera may have - in it's price range.

Anyone have any experience with the NX5U and sports?

What would be the best mode to use 30/60?
For any fast movement you need the highest frame rate the camera has. In the case of the NX5U either shoot 60i or 720P60.
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
BTW, anyone have a real objection to this camera or know of a deal-breaking technical issue? I've tried to perform my 'due diligence' and researched everything I could find on this website and others. In a perfect world (read: All the $$ I need) I'd love to purchase the Canon XF300/305, however, based upon what I've discovered in my research, the 'NX5' has a lot going for it. The 20X G lens alone is a great feature. I do a little wildlife study on my own time and the old 'stills photog' in me says, nothing can substitute for focal length (I'm sure there's a joke in there.).
I researched all I could on the NX5U and didn't find any significant issue before I purchased one. Like you my $$$ go so far and this was about the top of what I was willing to spend based on what I need. So far I've found this camera to be a joy to use. It has all the features I need and has delivered footage I've been very happy with. The ability to simultaneously record to SD cards and the hard drive wasn't something I thought much about but for commercial shooting it has the potential to be a pretty serious blessing.

End stops on the lens would be great but you get used to not having them. I've used both and the stops are by far the best way to go but I wouldn't rule out a camera because it doesn't have them. Comes down to knowing your gear and it's limits. The Sony focus/iris/zoom rings respond quickly and for the long range wildlife stuff you plan to shoot I'm sure you'll be happy.
Glen Canning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
For any fast movement you need the highest frame rate the camera has. In the case of the NX5U either shoot 60i or 720P60.
Ron Evans
Thank You,
James Ratliff
James Ratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I'd swap all of Ron's list for one change - the NX7 needs a bigger, clearer, readable-in-sunlight top screen. And when it's bigger, can we please have the excellent finger-pokin' sized icons that my Panasonic SD900 has, and abandon the NX5's ½ mm font we have at present.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #14
Major Player

David Heath...yes, you're right about the AVCHD Codec, however, once you add a peripheral recorder that issue goes away. At that point you'll be able to ingest at 4:2:2/50Mbps, 4:4:4:/200Mbps, or whatever you want. Kind of moot, wouldn't you say? Out of the box the NX5 is not 'BBC broadcast' compatible, like the XF305.

Regards,

J.

PS,

I do agree about the 'mechanical irus', being an old stills photog I like the tactile feel of a 'real' irus.

J.
Old October 19th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I got to compare my NX5 to a new Canon XF305 today. To the naked eye, I simply could not tell a difference, even in low light.
Michael Johnston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders