NX70 same picture quality as AX2000? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old October 9th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Major Player

NX70 same picture quality as AX2000?

I have an AX2000 and a Panasonic HMC40, the latter obviously being the one with the lowest picture quality, and I go crazy when doing multicam trying to match them because they look very different, even at 5.6k set on both cameras and similar aperture. So my plan is to sell the HMC40 and get another Sony, but how similar are the AX2000 and the NX70U? If I'm shooting outdoors and I set both to 5.6k, same aperture and ND filter, can I expect both to look exactly the same?

My reason for asking is that I would like an NX70U for a few reasons, price is one, but also that it's smaller and I assume lighter, also that it has a different mic than the AX2000, which has a horrible built in mic, and finally, that it records 1080-60p. So if it gives me the same picture quality as the AX2000, I would buy it.
Sebastian Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: NX70 same picture quality as AX2000?

Here's my educated guess based on having had a few Sony cameras along the way...

First, two Sony's will likely be closer in color rendering than a Sony and a Panny... so the overall "look" will probably be closer. I've concluded that mixing brands is more problematic than one would expect, and that generally cameras from within a brand will at least be "close".

Second, having just compared a CX550 (last years top consumer model) with a CX700 (this years top consumer model), the 700 is noticeably sharper to my eye... they look like they will mix fairly well, with slight differences in color rendering (haven't had time to try to fine tune the two, this was a casual outing). I'm going to guess that the AX2000 being a couple years "old", will look a bit softer when put next to the NX70.

You might want to check out slashcam.com - I tried a quick comparison of the two cams, and the stills tend to support my guess... they don't seem to have any samples for the Panny... Offhand, I'd say you can expect the two Sony cameras to be pretty consistent in color and image sharpness/quality in good light, and the NX70 to be sharper, less grainy, and punchier in low light than the AX.

Hope that's of some help to you, it's based on what I've learned along the way in "mixing" cameras!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #3
Trustee

I can't really comment on a comparison, but you may want to download some of the sample footage (mine or others) and see if it is up to scratch for you.

There is some compromise - no built-in ND, for example - but I keep reminding myself that I got the camera for its small size and waterproof capabilities.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
I can't really comment on a comparison, but you may want to download some of the sample footage (mine or others) and see if it is up to scratch for you.
That would be great, but is there a place where I can download raw footage instead of heavily compressed YouTube footage? Like a few clips a few seconds long with different things where I can check out colors, outdoors, indoors, low light, etc?
Sebastian Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Major Player

Nevermind, no matter how good this camera may be in other things, I just read about the big problem with the zoom rocker, which would be unacceptable to me because I need a camera that works well hand held.

This is so typical Sony. They do products that are excellent in almost everything but they screw them up in one or two things. Like the AX2000 and it's horrible built in mic.
Sebastian Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders