Step-up ring for NX70? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Trustee

Step-up ring for NX70?

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good step-up ring to use with the NX70? Ideally a 37mm-58mm model.

I got one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/114823-REG/General_Brand_37_58_37mm_58mm_Step_Up_Ring_Lens.html

But the problem is, it won't fit the NX70, the connection isn't "deep" enough, and doesn't make contact with the thread on the front of the lens. It does fit if I stick it on the outside of my UC filter, but that's awkward and vignettes badly.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand and model? There are so many "generic brand" versions of this, and I don't want to have to buy them all to see what works. I would also prefer a UK or European supplier, I don't really want to buy a $10 adapter and add on $100 just to get it posted to me.

Thanks in advance.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Step-up ring for NX70?

It's funny, Mike.
I bought a "general brand" 37-52 (and then used a 52-77 so I could use my variable ND filter) and it worked without a problem with no cut-off at all. I guess their general brand might come from multiple suppliers or just have poor quality control.

I have also used both Bower and Tiffen rings with success
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Chuck - I will maybe try one of those brands.

The "Generic" I got from B&H had a very, very shallow filter screw that just wouldn't reach the threads. I have another alternative on order, if that doesn't work out I'll try to source one of the brands you mentioned.
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Trustee

Chuck,

I think they key here is to do it in two steps. The second 37-58mm I ordered is exactly the same as the first.

Thinking about it again, it is logical. A 58mm filter is the same size as the front of the barrel of the NX70, so it's never going to fit unless you get a cone-shaped step-up ring, which is unlikely. That 52mm you have probably fits perfectly inside the NX70 lens area.

I'm going to go the two-adapter route, the first one stepping up to an intermediate size, the second to 58mm. The purpose of this is to get a better mounting with my Cavison mattebox.

I'll report back with my findings, including photographs!
Old November 27th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Using the two step ring system worked for me for a couple of reasons. For one thing, I was less concerned about using a matte box, as the reason I was using this camera was to stay small and very compact. I wanted to use a 77mm variable ND, which I already owned and it allowed me to use a wide angle rubber shade that afforded both light protection and a bit of impact protection, as well.

By getting the biggest, thinnest filters you can afford you are also making the filter a bit future proof, as you will, at some point own another camera.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders