Vignetting in Active Steadyshot Mode with filter attached at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old November 19th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #1
New Boot

Vignetting in Active Steadyshot Mode with filter attached

Has anyone experienced vignetting issues with a filter attached when camera is in active steadyshot mode? I experienced this not only while bouncing on a boat but also panning and while walking. For an example see the youtube video at 39 sec. Sony NX70U on location in Indonesia - YouTube

There was a regular Tiffen Circular Polarizing filter attached, which was slightly thicker rimmed than the UV filter that I use to protect the lens. I don't get any vignetting effect with the UV filter - (and I take the UV filter off and attach the polarizing filter directly to the lens).

I called Sony support and was told because it is a very wide angle lens I can only use thin-rimmed filters.

So if that's truly the case, can anyone recommend which polarizing filter AND which ND filters works best with this camera.
John Dutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Vignetting in Active Steadyshot Mode with filter attached

John,

I've had a similar effect with some filters. If you turn off the Active Steadyshot, you'll see that it vignettes all the time. With Active Steadyshot on and the camera static, it's just about OK and won't vignette. But once you start bouncing around, then the software will start to shift the picture around and your fitler can pop into shot.

If Steadyshot is set to standard, not active, the picture will be slightly wider, and you'll probably see the vignetting all the time. Active Steadyshot zooms in slightly and uses the spare pixels to stabilise the image.

I have a Lightcraft Workshop fader ND that vignettes too, which is a shame. A cheaper Polaroid 37mm fader ND doesn't vignette at all, but you need to hack your lens hood to make it fit.

For ND, I use standard B+W 37mm ND filters. These fit under the hood with no modification, and don't vignette. They don't seem to be ultra-thin to me either.

I use these:

https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...y.aspx?CID=547

Specifically, I use the MRC ones, which are allegedly more robust.

Edit; forgot to add, John - excellent video. Just the sort of thing the NX70 is brilliant at, a great little travel camera. As you say in the captions, it is a really non-intimidating camera, and great for not freaking people out!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the info Mike. Good to know that the vignetting really is caused by the filter and not a malfunction.

If anyone is interested, I wrote an extensive blog about my experiences with the camera in the field while on a shoot in Indonesia:

Video Channel | Filming Conservation of Leatherback Turtles – The Jurassic Journey Continues (Part 1)
John Dutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Trustee

John, thank you so much for the link to your blog - fascinating reading indeed, what an adventure! You would almost think that Sony built this camera especially for you.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders