DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   NX70U AVCHD to XDCAM 422 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/502866-nx70u-avchd-xdcam-422-a.html)

Paul Cronin November 20th, 2011 07:47 AM

NX70U AVCHD to XDCAM 422

Well my NX70U Jungle Cam is on the way.

My questions is what software do people use to get the AVCHD to XDCAM 422 timeline in FC 7.0.3.

I do not want to use ProRes. All the other cameras on the timeline are XDCAM 422 so that is how we need the clips from the NX70U.

Mike Marriage November 20th, 2011 10:37 AM

Re: NX70U AVCHD to XDCAM 422

Paul, I know it is not what you asked but did you look at the XF100? If you are mixing it with XDCAM 4:2:2 that may work better. I also think it is a superior camera, both in terms of ergonomics and IQ.

I was thinking about an NX70 as a little B cam but after trying both, I decided that the XF100 was superior and that I would put a plastic bag over it if it rained :)

Paul Cronin November 20th, 2011 03:22 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the helpful input. I did look at the XF100 and decided on the NX70U instead for multiple reasons.

Also I decided that we will use ProRes HQ from the NX70U onto an external recorder and drop that in a XDCAM 422 timeline.

Paul Cronin December 1st, 2011 08:14 AM

Hi Mike,

Well after having received my NX70U I am not impressed. Do you own a XF100?

I really need a small light camera in my kit for the hard to reach shots and when doing my doc work racing shorthanded.

Mike Marriage December 1st, 2011 08:51 AM

Hi Paul,

Yes I do. It has a few consumer annoyances, like no manual control of ND but for the size and price I think it is a great camera.

Check out my blog on it along with test footage:
Mike Marriage - Blog

I bought it to shoot this film as I didn't fancy carrying a full sized camera:

Climbing Cotopaxi and The Avenue of the Volcanoes with Charity Challenge - YouTube

There's also the odd DSLR shot in there but about 90% XF100. If an EX1 or XF300 is too big, I would only consider the XF100. The XA10 offers very similar image quality in an even smaller package but I didn't want AVCHD.

Paul Cronin December 1st, 2011 09:02 AM

HI Mike,

Thanks for the quick response, appreciated.

After reading your blog and testing the NX70U and seeing your short video I am making the right decision sending the NX70U back. It is as though they did not finish the camera. Too many thing wrong with it.

As with you I will use this as a C-cam and need it to perform. Sold my EX1 and the next step up will be EX3 with EX3 Fujinon WA lens then go to 2/3" chip. So the better codec that you mentioned previously really will help.

Now to see how fast I can get one.

Thanks again Mike for your input and helping me make the right decision.