DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   MTS convertor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/503016-mts-convertor.html)

Matt Thede November 25th, 2011 02:49 PM

MTS convertor

Need some help - I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it got zero responses in the "AVCHD Discussion" forum....

I'm relatively new to the AVCHD thing and just bought myself a Sony NX5U and LOVE it! One thing I'm struggling with is how to store the footage. I do it right now by creating folders on an HDD and labeling them by date. Well, after I've successfully transferred the files, I delete them from the card (by camera function), but now the editors are looking to use the files (we film our deer hunts) and I'm looking for the best way to get the footage to them to use in FCP.

I've seen a few convertors out there but I want to get them the footage without losing any quality....can someone help?

Seems people suggested Clipwrap, Aiseesoft MTS Converter, or handbrake (I think that's free) - but I'm not sure what will work best for the editors using FCP to not lose any quality.

Thanks for the advice. And if someone can help in the future, how can I import all file structure folders and yet still name a folder to organize my files?

James Kuhn November 26th, 2011 10:15 PM

Re: MTS convertor

Matt...I know this is probably obvious, did you load the supplied 'Utilities' software?

J.

Ron Evans November 27th, 2011 08:26 AM

I think he is using a Mac. Sony's utility is for Windows not sure there is one for the Mac. However there are lots of Mac users, I am sure one of them will be able to answer the question.

All utilities will need ALL the files on the cards though not just the video files. So if you are copying you need to copy the whole card.

I am PC based and my work flow is to use the Sony utility to transfer the files, then I back these up to a LTO3 data tape. That gives me two backup copies one on disc the other on tape. Since I use the utility to transfer I have all the meta data and joined files ( if they are greater than about 20 mins) The utility also renames files to the date and time of the shoot. Maybe worth running the Mac in PC mode to do the transfer.

Ron Evans

Reid Vanvoris November 27th, 2011 07:24 PM

Re: MTS convertor-try this

Import your footage from your camera media to the computer using Imagine Product's Shotput Pro:
Software Review: Imagine Products’ Shotput Pro | The Best Training in Final Cut Pro

Then follow these instructions from GeniusDV:
Importing AVCHD Video into Final Cut Pro - Final Cut Pro, Avid, and After Effects Training

Try setting your Apple ProRes settings to ProResLT 422. You get smaller files that closely match AVCHD quality. Also note, using Shotput to import your camera footage allows youbto later delete the larger ProRes files after your edit is complete. Just save your FCP project file, thec original AVCHD files, and any music and graphics from outside FCP, and you can archive your project for anytime recreation and modification.

Matt Thede November 27th, 2011 09:13 PM

Yes, I'm using a Mac, and the problem is I didn't copy the entire contents over, just the .MTS files (to my external hard drive). Now I need to get them into FCP but am not sure how as log and transfer doesn't work.

So, my original question is: would ClipWrap work well since it doesn't modify the original clip (just re-wraps it) or do I need to use Aiseesoft MTS Converter?? The MTS Converter does some "de-interlacing" (which I have no clue what that is)...??

Matt Thede December 2nd, 2011 10:30 PM

Bought ClipWrap....does an excellent job. For those that just save the .MTS files and not the whole folder structure, clipwrap will do what you need it to.

If you want to re-wrap the .MTS so FCP can read it, you can put the .MTS file in a Quicktime 'container' so it can see/read the file.

If you want to transcode it into a ProRes422, you can do that too....works out.

Lesson learned? Yes, make sure you save the entire contents of the card into a folder.... :)