Content Management Utility Ver.2.1 Update at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old November 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Content Management Utility Ver.2.1 Update

I was surprised to find out today that there is an update to the CMU software, version 2.1, since July. Usually Sony sends informative emails, but I didn't receive anything about this matter.

The most important feature for most of us is:
Flash band correction function (when updating from Ver.1.1 or older)
Flash bands(*) can be detected and corrected.

(*) Flash bands: Horizontal bands with luminance different from other parts of the image, which appear due to a flash or strobe light.

Just thought everybody should know.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/pro...nloads/CMU_V21

Last edited by Cristian Adrian Olariu; November 28th, 2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: website added
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Content Management Utility Ver.2.1 Update

Thanks for bringing it up. I've been using CMU ver.2.1 since its release. Can't really remember how I got turned onto the update. It may have been a 'check for update' in the CMU ver.1.1 drop down menu. I know that if you go to the pro.sony.com site, only CMU ver.1.1 is listed.
Junior Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Have you tried the FBC function? Weird, but I didn't see any improvement... I don't understand why. I tried it on a few files, it said "detected" but in preview it's the same. On first flash detected, it appeared a green mark on the scroll bar, but that's it. i saved one of the corrected footage but no improvement.
A friend of mine just show me the other day some examples (original+after) and I saw very good results.
Maybe after a system restart it will work, I don't know, will see tonight.
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Still not on the North American sites. I downloaded and tried on some of my files and it worked to remove flash issues very well. Left a natural looking flash. Impressed.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've only used CMU ver.2.1 since its release. Mostly because of the flash band corrector. I no longer use PMB.
Junior Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Still not working for me. Tried different files, progressive and interlaced. I press Detect, it displays "Detected", next I try to preview in program monitor (checked the "preview correction..."), the video looks exactly the same. I press Correct, the resulted file is the exact match in size with the original, no flash changed.

Next I will install CMU on my laptop, maybe something screwed up original installation or the update.

If you have any ideas, please share.

LE: Tried on the laptop. same problem.

LE 2: I sent a video file to a friend of mine who has an AX2000, the FBC has effect on his video files, but my file is unchanged. Now I sent an e-mail to Sony, will see if they figure it out.

Last edited by Cristian Adrian Olariu; November 30th, 2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: later edit 2
Old November 30th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #7
Major Player

Is the any reason why the US can't download it from the UK site and use it with the NX5u?
Old November 30th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Inner Circle

That's what I have done. It works .

Ron Evans
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Tourist

Does 2.1 read the timecode?
Rene Folse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Inner Circle

For me the V1.0 and the latest 2.1 both read timecode. In Edius time code is present but I cannot get Premiere or Vegas to show timecode. Don't use them much so it may be me not knowing how to get them to show the source timecode. In Edius one can set overlay to see source or timeline timecode can't seem to find that setting in Premiere or Vegas for that matter. One can apply the timecode FX but that just shows timeline timecode.

I can see the timecode on all the files I shot over the last two years and all have been transfered with the CMU. Actually all with the original CMU as I have only just installed V2.1 and have not transfered anything with that yet.

Ron Evans
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Still not on the North American sites. I downloaded and tried on some of my files and it worked to remove flash issues very well. Left a natural looking flash. Impressed.

Ron Evans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sgaraglino View Post
Is the any reason why the US can't download it from the UK site and use it with the NX5u?

Sadly, it's the silo culture at Sony that prevents the various departments from talking to one another. Although pro.sony.com (Sony Professional) doesn't list the update as being available, Sony consumer electronics (U.S.) support does indeed list the update though not necessarily for the NX5 but rather the AX2000 which as you all know is the NX5's little brother. It's quite stupid that they make it available for their consumer camera but not their pro version. In any event, the following link is for CMU 2.1 from Sony electronics (U.S.) and it works just fine with the NX5. I've been using it since July without any problems. The flash band correction is well worth the update.

Sony eSupport - HDR-AX2000 - Support
Michael Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Has anyone stepped frame by frame in a before and after sequence to see what the flash banding correction actually does? Does it correct the banded frame in some way, delete it. duplicate other (non-banded) frames or what?

Many cameras give a rapid series of pre-flashes before exposure - how does the program deal with those?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
.... I cannot get Premiere or Vegas to show timecode. ...
If you would use Premiere Media browser (Window >Media browser or press Shift+8) and navigate to your memory card onto which you have recorder then you will see the time code. How ever if you copy files to yor pc HDD you may not see time code at all after import.
But there is a solution to that. You have to copy all files from your memory card to HDD and only then you will have time code imported to PPRO.
Andrey Vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #14
Inner Circle

The point I was making was Edius does see the timecode in the m2ts file so it is there the CMU can also see timecode in the transferred files. Its just Premiere and Vegas can't see it and must create their own support files for time code. I want to use the CMU to transfer the files as my projects are all long ( over 1 hour clips) that need to be joined correctly. Since I edit with Edius it isn't a problem.

Ron Evans
Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:45 AM   #15
Trustee

Compatible Operating Systems
•Windows® XP SP3 *1
•Windows Vista® SP2 *2
•Windows® 7 SP1
*1. 64-bit and Starter editions are not supported.
*2. Starter is not supported.

Pity it doesn't work with 64-bit systems :-(

stelios

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders