DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   NX70U arrived, on the fence (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/503182-nx70u-arrived-fence.html)

Paul Cronin December 1st, 2011 07:33 AM

NX70U arrived, on the fence

My NX70U arrived yesterday and I am on the fence if I will keep it. I mostly shoot with broadcast cameras PMW-500, EX3, etc. For fast hard to reach shots I had a Canon HF10 that I sold and and needed to replace that camera, so I went with the NX70U.

So far I am not impressed with the image quality of the NX70U, the HF10 produced a sharper and better color picture. Some testing this morning then I will decide.

I have read the threads and understand the Vari ND filter is needed.

Dan Crowell December 1st, 2011 06:17 PM

Re: NX70U arrived, on the fence

Hi Paul,

I've had a NX70 for a couple months now and it does take some time to figure it out. It can produce a very nice image. It has nearly the same size sensor as a Ex3 albeit only one chip, (1/2.88) which is bigger than a 1/3" just shy of 1/2". Yes, you'll need a variable ND for it. It has no on-board ND. I did a google search and bought the first one I could find with a 37mm thread. You'd be better using a larger ND filter using a step up ring, otherwise you'll have some vignetting when using the "steady shot" function image stabilizer.

Beside the fact that it is rain and dust proof. The 3 main feature I found were (1) the image stabilizer is great. (2) the low light sensitivity is incredible. You can crank up the gain to 15 db and you still no noise. (3) once you figure it out, it can produce a very good image. All in all, it's still a sub 3K camera and there's a reason for that, so don't expect it to perform beyond that price range.

I found it very handy right off the bat even though I really didn't expect much from it. First use was as a dash-board cam. Much better than a GoPro or anything similar. Also needed a fly under the radar cam. It was perfect. Next, a locked it down as a c-cam to give me something to cut to while I was hand held with my 350. Granted it was for a demo reel, but it all cut together very nice.

Here's some footage I shot with it over the past few month.
At the end, it'll show how well it handles low light. Keep in mind I didn't know at the time how well it performed in low light, but cranked it up to 15-db anyway. When I looked at it later I was stunned!

Summery: If you're shooting Wedding vids and web-esodes this is a great little camera that will give you a lot for the money and size. For the rest of us, it's a handy little tool to have in your tool box as a c-cam, pov-cam, etc.

Paul Cronin December 1st, 2011 08:37 PM

HI Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. But I have to disagree with you on most points.

There is no way you can compare the NX70U to the EX3 even with one chip vs three chips they are multi classes apart and the EX3 came out right.

Sure rain proof and dust proof, but it has to take a decent picture and it my opinion it does not. There are a dozen cameras or more below $3K that out perform the NX70U.

I might not have all the tricks down with the camera but I have basic test that have worked for me for over 25 years and it failed all of them. Very soft picture, poor control over picture quality, poor color matrix, poor control over exposure. All for $3K, sorry but not for me.

Again Dan thanks for taking the time to post and I am glad the camera works for you and I hope you can agree to disagree.

Have Fun

Les Wilson December 1st, 2011 09:09 PM

Paul, have you looked at the Panasonic tm900? It's a 3-mos AVCHD camcorder. No XLR but it does have automatic ND filters. In manual mode, the lens ring can control zoom, focus, or iris. It shoots 1080p60 and it has a 24p mode. I can Dropbox you comparative footage of the same scene between it's predecessor tm700 and an EX1R.

Ron Evans December 1st, 2011 09:18 PM

I have the CX700 which is basically the same camera which certainly has very sharp picture. I expect you are running in full manual. These little cameras run a lot better in auto or semi auto mode as the auto system does its best to keep the camera in the sweet spot. Spot focus will get a sharper image than I have been able to achieve in manual as an example. I agree that for 3 times the price of the CX700 that's a lot to pay for water proofing and a few extra controls. The XA10 in AVCHD or the XF100 to come close to your EX3 may be better choices.

Ron Evans

Tom Hardwick December 2nd, 2011 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Crowell (Post 1700850)
It has nearly the same size sensor as a Ex3 albeit only one chip, (1/2.88) which is bigger than a 1/3" just shy of 1/2". Yes, you'll need a variable ND for it. It has no on-board ND.

A couple of points Dan. 2.88 is 2.9 in anyone's book, so a 1/2.9" chip is just a tiny bit bigger than a 1/3" chip and far smaller than The EX's ½" chip. To be 'just shy' of ½" the NX70 would have to have a 1/2.1" chip.

Next point - the NX70 does have internal ND as the testers on this forum have shown. Unfortunately it's only available to you if you're shooting in automatic exposure mode. So a variable ND is probably a good idea if you want to lock the iris, gain and s/speed. And if you've bought this camera, you surely will.

tom.

Paul Cronin December 2nd, 2011 07:33 AM

Thanks Les,

Sure happy to check it out.

Looks like I will not go for AVCHD and prefer a codec that matches my XDCAM cameras.

Agree Ron I have used a CX700 and thought it was a nice camera for its price.

Glen Vandermolen December 2nd, 2011 06:19 PM

Well Dan, I think your video looks very impressive. Good job!

Paul Cronin December 2nd, 2011 08:15 PM

After reading Glen's comments I hope people especially Dan do not misunderstand me. I think Dan does very nice work. I am not talking about Dan's work I am talking about my experience with the NX70U and what I have seen from its picture quality. Also I am talking about input I have had from other people I know in the industry who I respect that I tested the NX70U and exchanged emails with over the last week. Maybe we asked too much from our gear but I doubt it.

Troy Moss December 2nd, 2011 08:59 PM

Dan, your perspective on this camera is right on target. It's been working great for me too. Took me a couple of weeks, but it's working perfect for me (run and gun and "B" cam work).....

Andy Saechao December 3rd, 2011 05:10 AM

I've been thinking about buying the NX70U for sometime now, but after reading some of the negative comments, I'm not so sure I'm willing to pay $2550 for it.

Les Wilson December 3rd, 2011 06:01 AM

Every camera has tradeoffs. You have to decide what's important to you.

Paul Cronin December 3rd, 2011 08:02 AM

Andy I agree with Les, you need to know what works for you and buy that gear. There are people on this thread who are happy with the NX70U and that is great. For me it did not work but that does not mean it won't work for you.

As with any camera you should try before you buy and I broke my own rule this time and purchased before I tried. Luckily I work with one of the best retailers in the business (Abel Cine Tech) and they helped me out and took it back.

Andy Lewicky December 3rd, 2011 11:15 AM

Paul,

Out of curiosity, were you shooting with the NX70U wide open? Image quality is best at the largest apertures, and declines rapidly past f4.0. In my own IQ tests versus the XF100, I thought the NX70U was clearly sharper, provided you're always shooting f4.0 or wider...

Andy Saechao December 4th, 2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1701126)
Every camera has tradeoffs. You have to decide what's important to you. Here's a review you may not have come across:
HD Warrior Blog Archiv Review of the Sony HXR-NX70

Thanks for the link. I haven't seen it yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1701139)
Andy I agree with Les, you need to know what works for you and buy that gear. There are people on this thread who are happy with the NX70U and that is great. For me it did not work but that does not mean it won't work for you.

As with any camera you should try before you buy and I broke my own rule this time and purchased before I tried. Luckily I work with one of the best retailers in the business (Abel Cine Tech) and they helped me out and took it back.

Les/Paul: Despite some problems with the camera, there's a lot to like about the NX70U. I guess I'll have to test it out myself to really know if the camera is right for me. Hopefully, whoever I buy the camera from has a good return policy.