the NX5U/AX2000 doesn't do this, right? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old January 26th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #1
New Boot

the NX5U/AX2000 doesn't do this, right?

I've got an AX2000, though I've used an NX5U on two or three projects in the past. I also used a buddy's higher end camera for a while, and one of the features I really like is the ability to configure a button to immediately delete the last clip shot.

I shoot a bunch of roller derby and never know when I'm going to get a shot with good action, so I just start shooting whenever it looks like something interesting MIGHT happen. Of course, 90% of the time, it doesn't happen, and I'd like to immediately delete the clip so I don't have to review it when I'm ingesting footage into my editor.

I've never seen any mention of something like this in the AX2000 manual. Is it true that you can't do this with that camera or the NX5U?

Or, if you can do something like this, how do you make it work?

Cheers,
Todd.
Todd Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: the NX5U/AX2000 doesn't do this, right?

Oh, related to this, I've never figured out a way to just hit a single button and switch from normal record mode to smooth slow record mode. That would sure make my life easier, too. Is there a way to do this that I just haven't discovered yet?
Old January 26th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Good question. I'll have to look at it tomorrow. I'm pretty sure you can't do it on the AX2000. That camera is just a stripped down consumer version of the NX5U. What you need is a camera with cache recording. I used to use a Panasonic HPX2000 with 8 second pre-record, meaning when you hit the button it starts recording at 8 seconds prior to hitting the button. Excellent for sports. Just follow the action and as soon as something big happens, hit record and you got it all.
Michael Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 06:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

No, there isn't any function or button similar to "Delete last clip" on NX5/AX2000
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Inner Circle

That's right - no instant 'delete last clip' so I film my hand in front of the lens for a 'no-go'. Then it's super quick to delete all the 'no-go' clips on the timeline.

Once the cam's in the slo-mo mode it'll stay there, but I realise this isn't what you're after.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 06:31 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hate to break it to ya, but everything you just described exists on the PMW-EX1R.

There are 4 assignable buttons with the ability to set any one to "Last Clip Delete."

There's also an S&Q button (Slow-mo 60fps REC 24fps PLAY) that instantly turns on and off the XDCAM EX variant of smooth slow record. (Which is true 720p, and not quarter-resolution 270p)

And it has Cache Record up to 15 seconds.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:24 PM   #7
New Boot

Yeah, the PMW-EX1R is the "buddy's higher end camera" I was referring to. I sure wish my AX-2000 had those features. The first one would save me a lot of time in post, and the second would save me a lot of time/hassle while shooting. I guess I need to keep saving my pennies, or hope that the successor to the AX-2000 can do those things.
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Hey Todd! I was just searching to see if your camera could do this, and I found your thread here. Small world. Bummer you can't delete last clip, but the hand thing is a good idea. I do that to mark things I want to watch out for in the timeline.
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #9
Major Player

Tom...I like the 'hand' in front tip. Thanks.

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders