5 inch monitor for the NX5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old February 24th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Inner Circle

5 inch monitor for the NX5

The top screen on my NX5 is not good - it's smaller than on my Z1, less clear in sunlight and some of the fonts used to display information are just 1mm high. It may well be super sharp, but who needs a super-sharp 3" screen?

So I fancy buying an HDMI connected 5" monitor - something like this:
Lilliput 5" 569GL-50NP/H/Y HDMI Monitor +1/4" Shoe Mount+ Battery Plate +Charger | eBay

Thing I want to know is - if I connect it HDMI to the NX5, will I still have all the info dotted around the picture? I really need to be able to check the aperture, shutter speed, gain setting as I run from here to there for the next shot.

The 5" Sony version is a delight - as it should be, selling as it does for the price of a 40" HDTV.

I suspected there must be some menu option I've got to click onto to get the spam info onto an external screen - I was just hoping one of the team here had already done it and could point me straight there. I've plugged the NX5 HDMI into my big telly, only to have the picture shown devoid of readouts.

The resolution of the 5" screen doesn't bother me much, as the NX5's three focus assist features work well. But I do need it to be visible in bright sunlight.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 5 inch monitor for the NX5

Tom, I've just done a quick test with my Z5.

Although I can get the MENU displayed on my Lilliput 667 7" monitor, I can't get it to keep the camera settings displayed when I come out of the MENU.

I've tried it with both component and HDMI, so, in the lack of other responses, I would say No.

HANG ON.....!! HANG ON...!!!!

RTFM....!!!

Just looked in the manual for my Z5 and it says, "You cannot display information to an EXTERNAL device, when MARKER IS SET TO ON !!!

Just gone into camera MENU, turned MARKER OFF and Bingo, display is now on my monitor.

Just goes to show you learn something everyday...

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Same for the NX5U , page 82 in the manual.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks, guys.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Major Player

One other feature is to hit the expanded focus, it will bring all data on over the HDMI. For the screen in bright sunlight I use the sony http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/538262-REG/Sony_SH_L32WBP_SHL_32WBP_LCD_Hood.html and a hood man ex1 loop EX KIT PRO-Hoodman Corporation or westside will custom fit it to the NX-5 screen HoodLoop

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #6
Trustee

Tom
It really looks a nice monitor and the price is just right. Let us know, if you buy it, how it performs.

stelios

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders