NX70 Firmware release date. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 6th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: NX70 Firmware release date.

I can confirm the upgrade seems to be universal - the update document shows all NX70 variants and the effect of the new functions.
I was confused for a bit, because I was looking for FS100 update features (30p,60p) which of course don't exist!
The zoom rocker is much more manageable on the slow setting, and the last scene review I have added to the Photo button, which I have never used - I find this a very useful feature on the FS100-

Last edited by Paul Wood; April 6th, 2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Post modified due to confusion in models!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #32
Major Player

Yes, just confirmed this is universal so everyone can update. I got sent the link to the 'PAL' version and hash checked it with the USA site - exactly the same file.

Zoom rocker isn't really fixed. Just slower. You still get the jump from slowest to slower if your fingers aren't really delicate.

No option to keep LCD on while viewfinder is open.

Overall a disappointment.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #33
Regular Crew

At the risk of someone saying 'its old news' I can confirm I have updated my NX70P successfully from software obtained from SONY Australia. However I note its the same update offered on the US website as others have found. After requesting confirmation of the applicability of the US software SONY New Zealand sent me the instructions and the web address in Australia for the download. My gripe was mainly with the zoom rocker and to this end I am fairly pleased. As an enthusiast I think I will be satisfied but were I a pro I would still have issues. The rocker in its slow speed mode is still tricky to handle unless you have a very steady hand. However I can get 12 secs via the rocker and 20sec on the LCD. In high speed mode the rocker can do 7sec but can take off for a 2 sec zoom unless your are concentrating. The LCD in high speed is about 8 secs. The other features like assign buttons, dual memory record etc are yet to be experienced. Well I hope that is of some interest to you all, cheers.
Warren Eagleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #34
Trustee

The new firmware is an improvement. The new features really do help the camera's usability. (I like having the expanded focus feature programmed into the "photo" button on the handle!)

However, in terms of the zoom rocker performance, it still "lunges" forward and backwards at certain rocker angles. My guess is that resister values inside the rocker potentiometer itself jump radically in certain positions. Example; Instead of starting at 1 volt and proportionally graduating to 5 volts, somewhere around 2 volts, it "switches" to 4 volts and then to 5.

I was hoping Sony could have buffered the resistance graph or something.(i.e. mapped out the voltage changes across the entire range and re mapped smoother lens motor control) Slowing the speed down was just an "easy" fix to help cover up the issue.

It's a shame because the camera is so well made and is overall a great product. It just has this one bizarre glitch. Unfortunately,...it's a loud and noticeable one that is very hard to ignore.

Somehow, I still love this camera.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #35
Trustee

Now that I've finally had a chance to play with the new firmware...

I note the zoom speed limit applies to ALL controls, not just the rocker. So if you set the zoom speed to slow, then the rocker is slower, but so is the zoom ring (if you use it) and the Lanc controlled zoom. The faster zoom is really useful for quickly framing and focus checking. Hmmm.

Because of this, I'd need to use the slow speed off-tripod and the fast speed on tripod, in conjunction with the zoom!

Has anyone else noticed this?
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
Now that I've finally had a chance to play with the new firmware...

I note the zoom speed limit applies to ALL controls, not just the rocker. So if you set the zoom speed to slow, then the rocker is slower, but so is the zoom ring (if you use it) and the Lanc controlled zoom. The faster zoom is really useful for quickly framing and focus checking. Hmmm.

Because of this, I'd need to use the slow speed off-tripod and the fast speed on tripod, in conjunction with the zoom!

Has anyone else noticed this?
I have same thing... I went back to high zoom speed to re-frame quickly and use Lanc control as before... For off-tripod I use touch screen...
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #37
Regular Crew

I'm not sure if it is, but I feel that the high speed zoom is still slower and more controllable that what the camera had before the firmware upgrade.

It was just about unusable before but now on high speed it seems to work fine. Slow speed is an absolute crawl and again almost useless unless you are only making minute zoom adjustments.
Scott Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #38
Trustee

I think Sony did an OK job with the new firmware. However, I would have rather seen a "variable" speed adjustment in the software instead of the simple "fast" and "slow" that they made.

I think that a 1-5 setting or a 1-10 speed setting would have been the best fix for the hardware bug.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #39
Regular Crew

I agree, the fast zoom is still very fast and takes a gentle touch to have any kind of control over it.

I would have liked a user definable bar/slider. Go from 0 to 100 and let the user set the speed. It would allow adjustment for different situations and put the user in control.
Scott Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #40
New Boot

Not sure if I caught this correctly or if it was elaborated on yet; with the inclusion of the new firmware update by Sony, did they give the NX70 the 30p option or not??

Thanks.
Scott Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #41
New Boot

Yes here are HD modes 1080/60i, 1080/60p, 1080/24p 1080/30p, 720/60p plus a STD mode.
Bryan Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Can anyone verify that the dual record will allow SD on cards and hd or sd on internal memory?

I need to have sd on the card and a backup on the internal memory.

Thanks
Robert Rinkewich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders