DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   NX70 Firmware release date. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/505775-nx70-firmware-release-date.html)

Cliff Totten March 2nd, 2012 07:08 PM

NX70 Firmware release date.

Looks like Sony will release the new NX70 firmware on March 22.

Let's hope that they got a handle on this zoom rocker issue. If it truly is a problem with a missing resistor on the control, it's going to be extremely difficult to "feather" that voltage/resistance problem via software into a smooth, variable servo zoom.

It's going to be very interesting to see how they handle it.

Sony | Micro Site NXCAM & AVCHD

Warren Eagleton March 20th, 2012 03:05 PM

Re: NX70 Firmware release date.

I have been able to confirm the firmware release date also as March 22 (Japan) time and below is the pre-release detail of the upgrade for all to study. For me I am still not too happy as progressive zoom control is not mentioned, but oh well, win some loose some:-

HXR-NX70P firmware upgrade - what’s new:
•Improvement of zoom rocker operation(Selectable zoom speed)
•Simultaneous Rec. with internal memory and memory card
•1920x1080/30p, 1280x720/60p for NTSC version, 1280x720/50p for PAL version
•Assignable keys
•Last Scene Review feature
•Face detection window can be turned off by “Display on/off” for line-out purpose
•“Zebra” and “Histogram” can be turned on by “Display on/off” for line out purpose.

FAQ - firmware upgrade
General Questions:
1.Do we need to pay for the upgrade?
•No, the upgrade is free of charge.
2.How do we perform the upgrade?
•Upgrade can be performed by downloading the file from Sony’s web site.
3.Can the upgrade be done at a local Authorised Service Centre.?
•Yes

HXR-NX70P :
1.How does the zoom rocker operation improve?
•We will add another zoom speed which can be selected in the menu. User can select their desired zoom speed according to their needs
2.What is the “Simultaneous Rec”?
•For back-up purpose, the same file will be recorded on the internal memory and memory card. However, HD and HD recording is supported, and individual trigger is not available
3.HXR-NX70 does not have any assign keys, which buttons will become assignable keys?
•“EXPANDED FOCUS” button and “HISTOGRAM” button will become assignable
4.What is the “Last Scene Review”?
•By pressing the “Last Scene Review” button which can be assigned, user will be able to playback the clip which was shot last. Playback will start from the beginning of the clip
5.What are the advantages of turning off the face detection window?
•It will allow to output picture with no OSD, therefore it will be suitable when using an external recorder or streaming to other devices.

John Knight March 20th, 2012 05:54 PM

"However, HD and HD recording is supported, and individual trigger is not available"

What the hell does this mean?

Mike Beckett March 21st, 2012 02:44 AM

I'm assuming that is a Google translation of Japanese... I'm left a bit bewildered by that one.

To be perfectly frank, I'd be more excited if they could give me £2000 with the free update so I could part-exchange my NX70 for another camera.

Or maybe I'm just feeling especially grumpy this morning.

Ron Evans March 21st, 2012 07:03 AM

On the NX5U the FMU128 can record HD and the cards SD, or both HD etc. Since the NX5U has two start/stop buttons( one on the grip and the other on the top handle) these can be assigned independently to either start the cards or the FMU128 . So it is possible to leave the FMU128 recording and start the cards for selected scenes in either SD or HD as needed.

Tend to agree with you Mike. The NX70 is $2000 more for waterproofing over the CX700 and for a little more the NX5U provides a lot more.

Ron Evans

John Knight March 21st, 2012 09:54 PM

OK, 5pm on 22nd March in New Zealand at the moment and waiting for firmware update to appear - it's 1am in Japan... come on Sony... got a wedding in 36 hours and would love to test out this AMAZING update first....

Warren Eagleton March 22nd, 2012 12:35 AM

Careful, not what I would do just before a job! Do it when you have time to spare, not all firmware updates are straight forward. Manage your risk, unless you have a backup?

John Knight March 22nd, 2012 12:57 AM

Yes. I think you might be right. I have a wedding job on Saturday then a couple of weeks off... might get the wedding out the way and update on Sunday. At least then someone might have tried first and give some feedback. Must be patient.... :)

John Rakis March 22nd, 2012 02:10 PM

It looks like the release of the firmware has been delayed. From Pro.Sony.Com:

"A firmware upgrade for the HXR-NX70U has been revised for planned release date of March 29, 2012."

Matt Sharp March 22nd, 2012 03:31 PM

At lease we didn't get delayed all the way to April 19th like the FS100. I'm not holding my breath though.

Mike Beckett March 22nd, 2012 04:05 PM

Humm.

It isn't great customer service to wait until the 22nd is nearly over to tell us that it's now the 29th.

Ah well.

Warren Eagleton March 22nd, 2012 07:49 PM

To state the obvious, the whole saga of the NX70 has been one of disappointment, and a complete indifference to the customers satisfaction. Lets hope the firmware is worth all this waiting? I would just like my money back really & who could blame me.

Bryan Scott March 24th, 2012 03:13 PM

All I can say is I'm largely satisfied with the camera for the original application it was purchased. That application needed superior image stabilization from a light weight weather resistant camcorder delivering 1080/60p. Today after placing the camera in other production rolls in our commercial production department I would like to expand its capabilities and the zoom is a limiting factor. Like many of you I was looking for that download on March 22 and was disappointed with the extension. Let's hope they keep it to only a weeks delay.

John Knight March 28th, 2012 04:01 PM

Currently 11am in New Zealand on 29th March - no new firmware showing on the Sony site yet... I haven't got any jobs on this weekend so keen to try it out asap and report back how it goes...

Mike Beckett March 29th, 2012 02:07 AM

I'm not holding my breath... I seem to remember we were all eagerly waiting last week at the same time, and all that changed was the release date being quietly delayed.

I'm amazed that Sony can't operate an email list for something like this. I contacted Prime Support in the UK last year asking about this, and the answer was to keep checking the website "in March", or to contact them again (and they'd probably say "keep checking the website"!).

Mike Beckett March 29th, 2012 05:36 AM

You'll be going to bed disappointed then, John!

John Knight March 29th, 2012 12:53 PM

Yep - it's now the morning of the 30th and nothing on website. I notice the FS100 update has been bumped to April 19th now?

Sony fail.

Mike Beckett March 29th, 2012 01:31 PM

I think the FS100 date was changed last week... still waiting here, I was hoping to have something to try before I head off on holidays at the weekend.

Maybe they are trying a bit of Quality Conbtrol on it this time. <grin>

John Knight March 29th, 2012 04:17 PM

Confirmed via Sony Pro USA facebook page 1hr ago...

"...unfortunately yes, there has been another delay to the NX70 firmware upgrade."

Matt Sharp March 29th, 2012 05:30 PM

They pulled the '29th' from us US page. It now just says, "A firmware upgrade for the HXR-NX70U is planned for early 2012."

John Knight March 29th, 2012 10:54 PM

"The one thing that is not embargoed is the new firmware for the Sony NX-70, they seem to have overcome the juddery zoom and it looks like we are getting smooth variable zoom control, I think this FW will be released during NAB 2012."

Mike Beckett March 30th, 2012 02:19 AM

Hmmm.... if the delay in the firmware means they've done a better job with the zoom fix than we thought, then it might be worth the wait.

I'll remain skepticable (as they say) until I have it in my hands!

Rey Lowe March 30th, 2012 08:49 AM

The page now says "early April".

Jay Allen April 1st, 2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 1723945)
Hmmm.... if the delay in the firmware means they've done a better job with the zoom fix than we thought, then it might be worth the wait.

I'll remain skepticable (as they say) until I have it in my hands!

Remember this is Sony, the king of greed. Its nice to dream!
Im sure its because its chalked full of bugs still.
I own 5 Sony cameras and Sony Vegas pro 11 and they all have MANY bugs, but then again so does the competition .In the old days companies got in trouble for releasing products that didnt work...now it is the norm.

Bryan Scott April 4th, 2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Allen (Post 1724352)
Remember this is Sony, the king of greed. Its nice to dream!
Im sure its because its chalked full of bugs still.
I own 5 Sony cameras and Sony Vegas pro 11 and they all have MANY bugs, but then again so does the competition .In the old days companies got in trouble for releasing products that didnt work...now it is the norm.

I dont disagree however since we are speculating NAB is just days away and expanded features for the NX70 seems like a marketing opportunity and a reason for a delay. Also did you see the video for the HXR-NX30U to be released in June? Many software similarities, maybe they are writing code for similar hardware and a fix for one is a product launch for their new prototype at NAB.

In either case I'm owed a patch and this wait is unreasonable. Give me what I need today and give me the bells and whistles later.

Mike Beckett April 5th, 2012 05:35 PM

Firmware appears to have been launched for USA models...

No sign of it on Sony Europe yet though...

Matt Sharp April 5th, 2012 07:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Mike!

I just updated mine from 1.00 to 3.01, testing it out now.

Edit.. Looks like the 'Selectable zoom speed' is just high and low. Low allows for a range from crawl to a fast crawl, probably about 30% of the range. High handles the rest.

John Knight April 6th, 2012 01:23 PM

I've just left a message with my Sony rep to confirm if this is for all models including UK, Asia, PAL etc. Would have been nice if Sony made this clear...

Peter Erfurt April 6th, 2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 1725375)
Firmware appears to have been launched for USA models...

No sign of it on Sony Europe yet though...

Hi,

I downloaded the file from the US site and can confirm,that it works 100% in Europe too - I'm in Denmark and using PAL.

John Knight April 6th, 2012 02:57 PM

Darn. My rep said PAL upgrade available next week via the Europe site. SonyUSA just replied on Facebook saying "The upgrade links are for the NTSC models. The Sony Professional Europe site should have the upgrade link for the UK, Europe, PAL models...."

But I can't find them. You say the link works for PAL....

Why god why - do they actually plan to make it this confusing?

Paul Wood April 6th, 2012 03:05 PM

I can confirm the upgrade seems to be universal - the update document shows all NX70 variants and the effect of the new functions.
I was confused for a bit, because I was looking for FS100 update features (30p,60p) which of course don't exist!
The zoom rocker is much more manageable on the slow setting, and the last scene review I have added to the Photo button, which I have never used - I find this a very useful feature on the FS100-

John Knight April 10th, 2012 02:27 AM

Yes, just confirmed this is universal so everyone can update. I got sent the link to the 'PAL' version and hash checked it with the USA site - exactly the same file.

Zoom rocker isn't really fixed. Just slower. You still get the jump from slowest to slower if your fingers aren't really delicate.

No option to keep LCD on while viewfinder is open.

Overall a disappointment.

Warren Eagleton April 12th, 2012 10:53 PM

At the risk of someone saying 'its old news' I can confirm I have updated my NX70P successfully from software obtained from SONY Australia. However I note its the same update offered on the US website as others have found. After requesting confirmation of the applicability of the US software SONY New Zealand sent me the instructions and the web address in Australia for the download. My gripe was mainly with the zoom rocker and to this end I am fairly pleased. As an enthusiast I think I will be satisfied but were I a pro I would still have issues. The rocker in its slow speed mode is still tricky to handle unless you have a very steady hand. However I can get 12 secs via the rocker and 20sec on the LCD. In high speed mode the rocker can do 7sec but can take off for a 2 sec zoom unless your are concentrating. The LCD in high speed is about 8 secs. The other features like assign buttons, dual memory record etc are yet to be experienced. Well I hope that is of some interest to you all, cheers.

Cliff Totten April 13th, 2012 07:49 AM

The new firmware is an improvement. The new features really do help the camera's usability. (I like having the expanded focus feature programmed into the "photo" button on the handle!)

However, in terms of the zoom rocker performance, it still "lunges" forward and backwards at certain rocker angles. My guess is that resister values inside the rocker potentiometer itself jump radically in certain positions. Example; Instead of starting at 1 volt and proportionally graduating to 5 volts, somewhere around 2 volts, it "switches" to 4 volts and then to 5.

I was hoping Sony could have buffered the resistance graph or something.(i.e. mapped out the voltage changes across the entire range and re mapped smoother lens motor control) Slowing the speed down was just an "easy" fix to help cover up the issue.

It's a shame because the camera is so well made and is overall a great product. It just has this one bizarre glitch. Unfortunately,...it's a loud and noticeable one that is very hard to ignore.

Somehow, I still love this camera.

CT

Mike Beckett May 13th, 2012 09:44 AM

Now that I've finally had a chance to play with the new firmware...

I note the zoom speed limit applies to ALL controls, not just the rocker. So if you set the zoom speed to slow, then the rocker is slower, but so is the zoom ring (if you use it) and the Lanc controlled zoom. The faster zoom is really useful for quickly framing and focus checking. Hmmm.

Because of this, I'd need to use the slow speed off-tripod and the fast speed on tripod, in conjunction with the zoom!

Has anyone else noticed this?

Ilya Spektor May 13th, 2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 1733041)
Now that I've finally had a chance to play with the new firmware...

I note the zoom speed limit applies to ALL controls, not just the rocker. So if you set the zoom speed to slow, then the rocker is slower, but so is the zoom ring (if you use it) and the Lanc controlled zoom. The faster zoom is really useful for quickly framing and focus checking. Hmmm.

Because of this, I'd need to use the slow speed off-tripod and the fast speed on tripod, in conjunction with the zoom!

Has anyone else noticed this?

I have same thing... I went back to high zoom speed to re-frame quickly and use Lanc control as before... For off-tripod I use touch screen...

Scott Taylor May 14th, 2012 07:26 PM

I'm not sure if it is, but I feel that the high speed zoom is still slower and more controllable that what the camera had before the firmware upgrade.

It was just about unusable before but now on high speed it seems to work fine. Slow speed is an absolute crawl and again almost useless unless you are only making minute zoom adjustments.

Cliff Totten May 15th, 2012 09:54 AM

I think Sony did an OK job with the new firmware. However, I would have rather seen a "variable" speed adjustment in the software instead of the simple "fast" and "slow" that they made.

I think that a 1-5 setting or a 1-10 speed setting would have been the best fix for the hardware bug.

CT

Scott Taylor May 20th, 2012 10:49 PM

I agree, the fast zoom is still very fast and takes a gentle touch to have any kind of control over it.

I would have liked a user definable bar/slider. Go from 0 to 100 and let the user set the speed. It would allow adjustment for different situations and put the user in control.

Scott Owens June 20th, 2012 10:49 AM

Not sure if I caught this correctly or if it was elaborated on yet; with the inclusion of the new firmware update by Sony, did they give the NX70 the 30p option or not??

Thanks.