Difficult decision: Get an NX70 or something else? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:48 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Difficult decision: Get an NX70 or something else?

I think there will be new firmware for the AC160, not sure about the AC130 that will give 1920x1080P60 too. As Mike says nothing is perfect there are always compromises. I am happy with my combination of NX5U, CX700, XR500 and SR11. Would love a camera that had the combination of features these cameras have in one unit !!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:59 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Henderson View Post
The AC130 is not waterproof, but, based on the various comments, the NX70 waterproofing isn't all it's cracked up to be anyway.. I do wish the AC130 had some higher bit rate captures, but that's about the only 'negative' I can see at the moment.
It records at the highest bit rate current for a 1920x1080 60i stream just like all the other manufacturers. Same rate for the NX5U, CX700, NX70 when they record 1920x1080 60i at their highest rate. The high 28Mbps mode is only for 1920x1080 60P recording AVCHD . If you look at the XF100 Canon the record format is totally different CODEC rates cannot be directly compared.

Ron Evans
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:09 PM   #18
Regular Crew

i will suggest Canon XF100
50Mbit 4:2:2 is a very plus
and it does 1920x1080 60i
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:15 PM   #19
New Boot

Yes, it does look like Panasonic is coming out with a firmware upgrade for 1080p 60. That would be really great. I've looked at a bunch of reviews and example videos on Vimeo, etc. related to the ac160.. I've nearly convinced myself to go with that unit.

Thomas, I've looked at the XF100.. that also looked like a good solution. It does have a lot of the features I'm looking for, like under/over cranking, and interval record. It's priced lower, but it does use CF cards, which is not as nice, although for $1000, I could buy a lot of CF cards. I'd like to see some reviews comparing the XF100 and AC160/130.

Ron, where could I learn a bit more about the format differences? I have Premier Pro CS5.5, so I'm confident I can use any of the formats, but the MXF does seem to be the odd-duck among the rest of the cameras. AVCHD seems much more common.
Ed Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:27 PM   #20
New Boot

I think I could partially answer my own question comparing the XF100 and AC160.

The 22X Zoom is nice. Shooting outdoor nature shots, sometimes critters don't like you to get that close.
3 sensors should result in better video quality.
If a firmware update gives full 1080p60, that's a great win for motion video, like tennis and soccer shoots.
the AC160 has 3 manual rings. I'm sure I'll come to really appreciate those.
The AC160 has a better viewfinder.. about 2x the size, and way more resolution. Very helpful on outdoor shots.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:47 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Henderson View Post

Ron, where could I learn a bit more about the format differences? I have Premier Pro CS5.5, so I'm confident I can use any of the formats, but the MXF does seem to be the odd-duck among the rest of the cameras. AVCHD seems much more common.
Material Exchange Format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia gives all the information I think you need. It is used by some of the Sony XDCAM cameras. Supported by most NLE's too native.

Ron Evans
Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:19 PM   #22
New Boot

I've decided to get the Panasonic AG-AC160. I'm going to "stretch" for this camera, and I don't expect I'll ever have to look back and feel like I should have gotten something better.. I might cry over the $$$, but I'm confident I'll be happy with the camera.

Cheers
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

I'm in the market for a new camera, but I have a tight budget. The NX70u looks promising, but there appear to be some negatives. Some of the complaints are from a user who was using 100% auto functions, so that might be the issues he was having. Is it true that there isn't a built-in ND filter? Also, how much smaller is it vs. the NX5u?

Thanks,

Heath
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #24
Trustee

Heath,

The size can be seen here (sort of):

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...ze-camera.html

I reckon it's about half the size of the NX5, maybe 2/3rds the size with the mic on.

I have yet to see any evidence of an internal ND, and Sony have said as much (according to someone on Vimeo). No offence to other posters, but someone who has never touched the camera can't tell me there's an ND in there. One poster on here has seen some artefacts when pointing the camera into very bright light on auto. I've no idea whether this is evidence of a secret ND that Sony won't tell us about.

There's certainly no manual switchable ND.

To be perfectly honest, the camera isn't bad. The zoom rocker is a problem, which may or may not impact you. I get a bit upset at the excessive Chromatic Aberration in some conditions, but it's a small lens and these things are to be expected apparently.

Personally, I use manual exposure, and use a mattebox if I'm static, or a fader ND or B+W ordinary NDs if I need to control the light in bright weather. Or just stick it on full auto exposure if I'm in a hurry, it's not as bad as it sounds.

My main personal grief is that for my purposes, I probably should have bought a larger camera with more manual controls as buttons/dials rather than in touch screen menus. But it's too late to go back now!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #25
MPS Digital Studios

Thanks a lot, Mike! I'm actually going to my local camera sales company tomorrow or Friday to check out both the NX5u and the NX70u. I have a feeling I'll end up with the NX5u, because I'm such a fan of the EX1. Btw, I had both of the cameras, EX1 and NX5u, about two years ago for a test. I'll have to dig up my notes, but it's been so long.

And I wish I could wait, because if Sony announces a replacement to the NX5u, it likely won't ship until September or later.

heath
Old March 28th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #26
Inner Circle

If you get the NX5U make sure you search all the posts on picture profile etc. In stock setup the picture is not as good as the small Sony's. It took quite a while before I was happy that my NX5U was as good as my XR500 or CX700 !!! Things to watch are making sure that flicker reduction is OFF and also Macro focus is OFF as these really affect the sharpness of the image. Made a big difference on my NX5U. Focus is VERY critical.

Ron Evans
Old March 28th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #27
MPS Digital Studios

Thanks for the tips, Ron. It's funny, but 5-7 years ago, I was all about profiles and doing as much as possible in-camera, then only doing very minor color correction in post. My old friend/DP taught me that, and all the films he shot for me had minimal color correction done. It was the best way for a DP to preserve his or her original vision (with the director), so an editor doesn't go overboard. I know DPs that have it in their contract that they have final color, etc., approval.

Nowadays, especially with the "million" image settings, I tend to turn everything off and just get my white balance, then do more correcting in post. But that's strictly things I've shot and cut; if a DP shoots it, I let them finalize the colors.

Okay, sorry for going off-topic like that. I'm going to check out both cams tomorrow and report back.

Heath
Old March 29th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #28
MPS Digital Studios

I did a size comparison of the two after seeing them at my local dealer:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...x5u-nx70u.html

No ND filter built into the NX70U; I'm going to get the NX5U.

heath
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Great. Enjoy. Being used to the Sony's you will have no problem getting used to the NX5U.

I use my CX700 for family stuff like my recent ski trip and have a variable ND filter on it that makes shooting in the snow a lot better. I will be getting a HX20V when they come out to slip into my pocket and may give similar performance to the CX700.

Ron Evans
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #30
MPS Digital Studios

NX70U is very cool, but I do like the NX5U more.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders