New Sony HXR-NX30E Palmcorder with advanced Stabilization - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 15th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #136
Regular Crew

Re: New Sony HXR-NX30E Palmcorder with advanced Stabilization

Cameras, like any other tool, are supposed to fulfill a need. Some will find that the NX30 is great because all the features they might need in a run-and-gun camera are there, be it the optical stabilization or the automatic controls.

My needs in a camera include compact size and full manual controls. And I need those features because I use my cameras mainly for travel videography. I like pulling focus between the distant cliffs and the fortress wall that is nearer, for example. I do not record weddings, I'm not a freelance reporter or journalist, I'm not a documentary filmmaker, and I do not shoot commercials or music videos.

So for my needs, the Sony -- unlike the Canon -- leaves a lot to be desired.
Adam Palomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #137
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Palomer View Post
Cameras, like any other tool, are supposed to fulfill a need. Some will find that the NX30 is great because all the features they might need in a run-and-gun camera are there, be it the optical stabilization or the automatic controls.

My needs in a camera include compact size and full manual controls. And I need those features because I use my cameras mainly for travel videography. I like pulling focus between the distant cliffs and the fortress wall that is nearer, for example. I do not record weddings, I'm not a freelance reporter or journalist, I'm not a documentary filmmaker, and I do not shoot commercials or music videos.

So for my needs, the Sony -- unlike the Canon -- leaves a lot to be desired.
I am about on the same "needs" path as you are and I did find the NX30 not suitable. So switching to the 70 has been excellent. Check it out. I don't find anything wrong with it really.
Stay well. Ara and Spirit
Ara Gureghian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #138
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Palomer View Post

... I like pulling focus between the distant cliffs and the fortress wall that is nearer.....
That is what I use spot focus for and it's only downside is that it is a single speed.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #139
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
That is what I use spot focus for and it's only downside is that it is a single speed.

Ron Evans
Ah! so you are focusing on "something" then spot focus on the screen another object. Interesting concept.
Ara and Spirit
Ara Gureghian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #140
Inner Circle

I use spot focus for both actions. Camera is in manual focus, spot focus the first object , start camera and then touch the other object in the LCD. The camera will then rack/ refocus to the new point. It is difficult to manually focus handheld with a small camera either looking through the viewfinder or on the LCD. On a tripod spot focus is great to get the transition and get as close as one can get to the shallow depth of field of a large sensor camera since one has to use a telephoto type of shot to get the focus shift on a 1/3" sensor. One object needs to be close the other far away and use a long zoom too. At full wide angle most of the small cameras will show almost everything in focus from a few metres to infinity!!!

iAuto will alter focus and exposure to make sure of that !!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:42 PM   #141
Major Player

NX30 and NX70 optical stabilization the same?

Ok, so everyone raves about the NX30 having really good optical gyro lens stabilization. Does the NX70 use the same optical gyro stabilization where the sensor and lens all track together, or is the NX70 system different and inferior?
Old March 24th, 2013, 02:11 AM   #142
Trustee

Dave,

The NX70 doesn't have the BOSS system (Balanced Optical SteadyShot), it's a more traditional steadyshot. There is also an Active Steadyshot that I presume uses software to stabilise the image further.

It's actually very good, I was constantly amazed at how good mine was, although always at wide angle, admittedly. But clearly the BOSS system on the NX30 will be better still.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #143
Inner Circle

NX70 is closer to "last years" (two now) CX700 - the BOSS system in many "new" Sonys is pretty unique - you can actually watch the lens roll around in the gimbal mount to try to track the framing - it's got a LOT more range of motion than any other stabilization system - almost like a "steadycam" built into the camera
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders